invalid characters error in IE

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
shoels@adelphia.net
Beginner
Beginner

invalid characters error in IE

Post by shoels@adelphia.net »

When I display the web page from dreamweaver in IE, the menus don’t display and I get the following errors. When I upload the page to my server, I don’t have any problem with IE or Firefox- the menus look fine, but I have had clients saying they can’t see the menus.This is the code in my web page:

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="menus/milonic_src.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
<script language=JavaScript src=menus/mmenudom.js type=text/javascript></script>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="menus/menu_data.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; Trident/4.0; FunWebProducts; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)
Timestamp: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:48:31 UTC

Line: 1
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: file:///C:/Users/shoels/Favorites/Documents/Web%20Sites/gmret.org/menus/milonic_src.js

URI: file:///C:/Users/shoels/Favorites/Documents/Web%20Sites/gmret.org/menus/mmenudom.js

URI: file:///C:/Users/shoels/Favorites/Documents/Web%20Sites/gmret.org/menus/menu_data.js
shoels
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: invalid characters error in IE

Post by Ruth »

I actually need to see the page, I can't do it from just posted code. Milonic would also have to see the page to see what is going on.

Ruth
shoels@adelphia.net
Beginner
Beginner

shoels
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Hi,

Invalid character sounds like it could be a file corruption issue.

Does it do it randomly or all the time?

Also, is it just with IE8 and have they upgraded to the final release of IE8? - I do know of issues with people still using IE8 Beta.
shoels@adelphia.net
Beginner
Beginner

It happens with older versions of IE. When I preview the page in Dreamweaver -live view- the menus are there. If i preview with Frontpage, i get the same errors.
IE renders the page correctly. But when i try to preview the page on IE using dreamweaver, no menus show up and i get the error messages.
shoels