Resizing Browser Moves Vertical Menu Down the Page

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
hgodwin
Beginner
Beginner

Resizing Browser Moves Vertical Menu Down the Page

Post by hgodwin »

Hi

I am using milonic to help my company out with our customers. We are using version 5.777 and are having problems with our vertical menu. We try to not use tables on our web sites and position everything using DIV tags. Our menu is relatively positioned on the page and sits well on any browser that has a 1024 screen resolution or has the browser all the way open. However, in anything smaller than that, the menu drops down the page and sits there until the screen has more room and the page is refreshed. From what I've been reading in the forums, our menu is set up with the standard information:

Vertical Menu Code:

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript">
with(milonic=new menuname("Main Menu")){
style=menuStyle;
overflow="scroll";
alwaysvisible=1;
menuwidth="160px";
orientation="vertical";
position="relative";
aI("text=Home;url=index.php;");
aI("text=About Us;url=teach-perspective.php;showmenu=About;");
aI("text=Contact Us;url=contact.php;");
aI("text=Resources & Links;url=#;");

}
I am just confused as to why the menu keeps shifting down when we reduce the browser size and how we keep it from doing that.

Here is one of our sites:
http://www.elcofswfl.org/
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Resizing Browser Moves Vertical Menu Down the Page

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I am unable to reproduce the problem. I even changed my resolution to 800x600 as one option for testing this. The menu stays at the top left area in IE6, 7, FF 1.5, 2.0.0.18, 3x, Safari 4 for pc, Opera 9.5 NN 7.2, 9, Google Chrome. No matter what resolution, nor how I used the mouse to make the browser window smaller, the menu stayed right where it is. My normal resolution is 1152x864

Ruth
hgodwin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hgodwin »

Hi Ruth, thanks for the reply.

It's actually very weird. I just adjusted my IE7 window size from the right side to go as narrow as possible, then I minimized it from the bottom. Afterwards, I adjusted the window vertically a bit at a time by clicking and releasing my mouse and after each release, the menu would start to make its way down the page. It does this in all the browsers I use. I can try and include more details if needed.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Well, I found it after that description, and it's an easy fix. Remove the overflow="scroll"; from the main menu. That is what is happening. When you take the time to do it that slowly, whether you do it from the bottom up, or from the right to left at some point the scrollbar is triggered in the main menu, but as soon as there is any more movement that bar disappears and the menu begins shifting down. Anyway, just remove the overflow="scroll"; and you have fixed the issue

Ruth
hgodwin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hgodwin »

Thanks Ruth, that fixed us up.