Menu BGGRAPHICs won't display

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
JimSD
Beginner
Beginner

Menu BGGRAPHICs won't display

Post by JimSD »

I have been trying to update to Menu Sample 89 ver 5_830. I think I followed directions correctly but... :?

I used the sample page to set up my menu. I designed my own graphic buttons and edited the menu_data.js file for my preferences. The menu works perfectly on my sample page. I moved the appropriate lines into my new home page and my graphic buttons will not display. I know your first thought is do I have the links correct and yes I do. The sample page and my new home page are in the same directory and looking for the graphics in the same sub-directory. And the arrow graphic does show up correctly, just not the graphic buttons.

A wide solid blue line/box displays with the correct wording for each menu item but 1000 px wide. My button is set to 150px wide. The only different is that my test page is simple html and my new web page has extensive css loaded and uses several php routines to gather and decode some data from a distant web site. The page works fine and accurately sans the new menu.

Does anyone else have any idea where I should check for the conflict or error causing my problem? Could it be the php? Could is be the CSS? Thanks.

JimSD
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Menu BGGRAPHICs won't display

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

We need to see the page, can you provide a link to your page? I can then test various things.

Ruth
JimSD
Beginner
Beginner

Post by JimSD »

Ruth wrote:Hi,

We need to see the page, can you provide a link to your page? I can then test various things.

Ruth
I new you would ask for that, ha ha. My new web site is on a new machine and not open to the public due to router limitations. So I moved pertinent files into a temp directory on my current server. Everything displays correctly. The site is dependent on connection to my weather station so the actual weather data will be inaccurate and static. That however does not affect the php nor css or the Milonic menu.

The non-working menu page in question is at: http://www.buleep.com/temp/weather/index.php
(note the long blue bar at the top of the page.)
(BTW: the single item on the first menu is intended and when I get things working, I will move the menu to another location on the page.)

The test page where I developed the menu is in the same directory and is at: http://www.buleep.com/temp/weather/menu_test.html

Thanks, Jim
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

You have a path problem. The menu data file, along with the milonic_src, and the mmenudom.js files are in

Code: Select all

http://www.buleep.com/temp/scripts_css/
and your path for the background in the menu_data.js file is

graphics/menu_tan_bg.gif
But your graphics are not in

http://www.buleep.com/graphics/menu_tan_bg.gif
which is where I believe the link is pointing. A disclaimer here, I am totally lost with regard to paths, they are my bane and downfall :) Anyway, I think that the path you have is a relative path and that just before that graphics in the link it is expected that it will be the domain, but your graphic is actually in

http://www.buleep.com/temp/weather/grahpics/menu_tan_bg.gif
So, I would try putting in the full path and see if the backgrounds show, if they do, then you know it is a path issue.

Ruth

PS. your second links goes to a page not found
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

You have another problem that is due to the css generic table code

TABLE {
	PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0em; WIDTH: 1000px; COLOR: #cccc66; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #221c44; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none; outline-color: white; outline-style: none; outline-width: 1em
}
Since the menu is made up of tables, divs, spans etc, that generic code is being applied to it, and that is causing the problem with width and such. I am trying to work on it and create a class for the menu to apply all the coding. If you can remove that code, or change it to a class it would not apply to the menu.

Ruth
JimSD
Beginner
Beginner

Post by JimSD »

Ruth wrote:Hi,

You have another problem that is due to the css generic table code

TABLE {
	PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0em; WIDTH: 1000px; COLOR: #cccc66; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #221c44; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none; outline-color: white; outline-style: none; outline-width: 1em
}
Since the menu is made up of tables, divs, spans etc, that generic code is being applied to it, and that is causing the problem with width and such. I am trying to work on it and create a class for the menu to apply all the coding. If you can remove that code, or change it to a class it would not apply to the menu.

Ruth
Wow! This is the clue I have been looking for Ruth. I can change this table code to a class but that will likely happen on Sunday when I am more awake, lol. I checked and double checked the links to my graphics and they are working correctly. I can see items for the text color and background color which are actually being displayed.

The confusion is that I have two graphics folders. One is the TEMP/WEATHER/GRAPHICS folder for weather only (needed because of how my weather program works). The other is the TEMP/GRAPHICS folder which contains all graphics for the web site in general. I initially thought this was the problem so I duplicated the menu graphics into both directories and it didn’t solve the problem. Also, the little white arrow does display and it uses the same directory. The background graphic would have to work then. Also/also, since the graphics work in the test_menu.html file and the links in the index.php file are exactly the same, they should also work in the index.php file.

I suspect the CSS Table tag is the problem and will advise asap. Thanks, Jim
JimSD
Beginner
Beginner

Post by JimSD »

Ruth,

It works! :D Yea, yippie! It was a conflict with the CSS table tag. After I wrote my response above, I remembered I created classes for other tables and didn’t need the generic one. I made it a class called normal and the menu now works as designed. Now I have to pretty things up, move it down and centered and make the links work and all will be good.

Thanks again Ruth.

Jim