Menu behind Java Applet in Firefox.

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
austink
Advanced
Advanced

Menu behind Java Applet in Firefox.

Post by austink »

Since a picture is worth 1,000 words - please see http://www32.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/45384

In Firefox 3.6.8 for Windows, the "For Owners" menu appears behind the Java scrolling text applet, when I'd like it to appear in front of the applet. This problem does not seem to appear for Internet Explorer browsers.

Any suggestions for making his happen?

Thanks in advance.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Menu behind Java Applet in Firefox.

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Sorry it took so long, but I had to install v3.6.8 of FF. As soon as I did that and went to the site, I got a message that I had to upgrade my java. Before I did that, I tested the site in FF2.0.0.20 and 3.0.19 the applet showed and the menu dropped over it just fine. Once I updated my java, FF 3.6.8 requires 1.6_10 or above, once I updated, the menu started going behind and I lost all ability to see the applet in the lower versions of FF. I am reporting this to Milonic, but I don't know if it is if it is something in the menu or the browser + new java version requirement.

I have posted at FF but got no response yet. I will post to Milonic today.

Ruth
austink
Advanced
Advanced

Post by austink »

Thanks for replying! Any/all ideas are welcomed, as it's one of those things that has me pulling my hair out! :?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Yes, I know. I've been trying to find a solution, that is, posting everywhere. I even tried sun, but I doubt I will get a response from my email and they don't seem to have a forum.

I am trying to set up a test page, I tried using yours since then I would have the layout, but the ticker won't work, so I'll try just making a page and see what I can figure out. I did get a response from the FF forum, but the wmode suggestion is not an option, that's a flash option and I can't find a wmode parameter for applets. You could try that, just to see if it worked.

Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

EDIT: Nevermind, duh. The menu on the page now is long enough to drop over the ticker so I can work with it!

Well, l got the ticker to work, but what I need is the page you had up with the menu in the right place to drop over the applet. The link now only goes to the one with the black background. Do you still have the page you were working on? That gives me the right layout to test the menu.

Ruth
austink
Advanced
Advanced

Post by austink »

I've updated http://www32.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/45384 to look like it did before - is that what you needed? Thanks so much for your help with this!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

:P Dang, yes I will take it. I'd rather work on whatever it's going to be when it's done :) We seem to be crossing each other's posts :)

Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Two things.

1. There is a div hiding module which will prevent the menu from dropping behind the applet, but it will not work if the menu is styled with css. I am reporting this to Milonic, though I'm not sure it is fixable within the menu, that may be something in the newest java version

2. I am still working in the FF forum, but I want to make sure that if I link to your page for them to test, it is this page, since the menu on the other one does not come down far enough to have the problem with the ticker.

Ruth
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Hi There,

Thought I'd step in here.

For starters, is there any reason for needing Java for the ticker box?

I say that because I know a lot of people who refuse to install Java on their machines and you are eliminating a few visitors by using Java on your websites. There really is alternatives that we can use for this.

We can either code something for you in Webplugs or maybe even look at Flash.

What do you think?

-=- Andy
austink
Advanced
Advanced

Post by austink »

Andy:

We'd love to be able to retire these ancient Java applets, so we're wide open to ideas on that front. The only reason we "need" them to be in Java is that they work now. See http://football.myfantasyleague.com/201 ... rt?FAQ=797 for the 6 different types of scrolling text we currently offer - we'd need to offer at least 3 or 4 of these in whatever alternative technology we could.

We attempted to migrate them to Flash a few years ago, but failed, and I'm not sure if it was due to Flash limitations, or limitations of our Flash developer. :?

I'm not at all familiar with "webplugs", so I'd have to defer to you if that would work for this application or not.

Is this an application for HTML5?

Ruth - yes, feel free to point anyone you'd like to http://www32.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/45384 and I'll try to avoid making further changes to it.
austink
Advanced
Advanced

Post by austink »

And I should have added - thanks a _ton_ for your help, Ruth and Andy. This is one of those nit-picky things that has needed solving for quite some time, and I'm determined to do it this time!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I think that webplugs works with html5, actually it works now, too. I'm not up on it, it's the coming new Milonic menu system, and the little I've tried it's going to be great. Though, I like the one I use now :) But, webplugs I think is even more css designable. Andy will have to help you with the ticker stuff because that's not anything I know.

Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I forgot, though I think having something alternative to a ticker is your best option, there is one way you can fix the issue. That is to use an iframe putting the applet on the page in the iframe. The problem with applets is that they ignore z-index and everything else and make themselves the top layer on the page. With an iframe they are not on the page anymore :) Again, I think Andy's solution is best because applets are pretty much going by the wayside, even flash is not as 'popular' Many people set their computers to not do java or flash. I myself don't like them because I'm constantly being told to upgrade the flash player, or the java.

Oh, one thing, iframes can be an issue in some browsers, also :(

Ruth