seen a menu, can i build it with milonic?

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
paul
Advanced
Advanced

seen a menu, can i build it with milonic?

Post by paul »

I 've been happy with my milonic based menu for quite some time now, and want to keep it like this.
www.cadzand.com

But a lot of objects, means difficulty in a simple and easy to view menu, to present all objects.
Now I've seen a menu that I would like to try, its
http://thetechjournal.com

Its not about the main menu, its about the apple submenu, that shows up with mouseover, and shows 5 columns of headers and submenus. That is what I would like to try too.
The menu is built upon jquery, the apple submenu is what I can see from the page source, a table.
My question is, can i built this apple submenu in milonic, or if not possible, the table submenu and show it upon mouseover?

Thanks, Paul.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: seen a menu, can i build it with milonic?

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Yes, you can build a submenu like that. There is a property in the menu called divides that you can use. There are things to keep in mind since you are using menubgimages, but they aren't a problem you just need to make some tweaks. So, in order to do this, I will use the main menu item 'verkoop', just because it has a bunch of items in it.

1. Go to just below the with(XPMenuStyle=new mm_style()){ in your menu data file, between the end of that style and the beginning of main menu and add this. We are creating a new style based on the XPMenustyle:

Code: Select all

dividesStyle=new copyOf(XPMenuStyle);
dividesStyle.separatorsize=0;
dividesStyle.menubgimage="icons/backoff2003_web1.gif";
the background image used is from this sample http://milonic.com/menusample46.php
You have to make that backoff2003 image wider [try 1100px]. This is so it doesn't repeat and show the menubgimage blue line repeated in the new divided menu.

2. go down to the main_verkoop menu coding and change it to this:

Code: Select all

with(milonic=new menuname("main_verkoop")){
margin=2;
style=dividesStyle;
divides=4;
style.separatorsize=0;
3. go to the two items in that menu that have separatorsize= in them, you must either remove that or change the size to 0. You cannot use separators when doing the divides in a vertical menu.

That should be it. I set the divides at 4, but you could set it at more or less depending on how many columns you want.

I have played around with this a couple of times. There are interesting things you can do. For example, let's say there are 24 items in it and you want 6 columns, but you want the 1st item in each column to be a header. When you set divides at 6, it will divide it in the following manner, 1st 6 items in the menu will be the 1st item in each column across the columns. The 2nd 6 items will be the 2nd item in each column and so on. So if you wanted to created a 'header' looking top part to each column, you would just make the 1st six items in the menu headers.

Hope this helps.