White padding after menu item text

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

White padding after menu item text

Post by selvan777 »

I'm sorry, I feel like I've tried all the padding properties and can't seem to get the effect I'm looking for.

See the images below, if it so happens that the longest line of text has a subimage, the subimages appear to be aligned in their own cloumn. But if it's without one, the subimages appear to share the same column of text. I'm using   to fill the gap right now. How do I apply the proper style property that will automatically add padding to the end of the longest line of text in a vertical sub menu with a subimage?

Thanks,
Selvan

with the latest free version
Image http://lastborns.surf.to
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: White padding after menu item text

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

You have two options. Let's use the surfin submenu. You set the subimage position to be left, so in the style section you'd add subimageposition='left'; Then in each item that doesn't have a subimage you put a transparent image 10px wide and set padding, position etc. in the aistring like this

Code: Select all

aI("image=trans.gif;imagewidth=10px;imageposition=left;imagepadding=5;text=Privacy Protection, CCleaner;url=http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner;target=_top;");
The second option is to set the itemwidth of those submenus. Again in the surfin submenu the widest width seems to be less than 300px, so you'd do this in the menu section

Code: Select all

with(milonic=new menuname("Surfin")){
style=StyleSub;
margin=0;
top="offset=0";
left="offset=5";
itemwidth=300;
Those were the only solutions I found. Now, the first solution is the more involved but the better with regards to users text/font choices since it would be fixed. I.E. the subimages are 10px wide and the padding for them is 4px, so the trans image and padding in the non subimage items will be the same as the subimage items, no matter the text size, font choices of users. The setting of item width as in solution two is the easier, but not as 'fixed' with regard the users choices as to font and text size.

Hope this helps :)

Ruth
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by selvan777 »

Hi Ruth,

Thanks, from your reply I found I could just add this to the ai that had the longest text without a sub.
It's too bad it can't be automatically added like in the subimage="menu/images/arrow_down_bob_black.gif"; property.

;image=menu/images/blank.gif;imageposition=right;imagepadding=8

I have been playing with the new non-js webplugs menu but I think I'd better wait for it's official release...:)
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

When they get it done it will be great, as all that Milonic does. However, I am not a css guru, I don't like it since it is so involved and is NOT intuitive for the average person in the 'real' world. It creates a whole new study area to create new jobs to build websites. I won't get started on it, because I find it a ridiculously involved way to build a website.....i.e. your columns are not intutitively the size you make them because oh, you have to remember if you make it say 260 wide for 3 columns on a 800 wide page 10px margin, it won't work, since any margin between columns changes so some margin disappears, and borders are outdide the column so subtract that from the column size if you don't want to get a scroll bar and so on and so on. Now, the menu I use now, the version 5, that is so easy to use, and you can really manipulate it to change design and so on :) Ah, well, I still went off on css :lol: !

Ruth
selvan777
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by selvan777 »

Yeah, I hear you, master one thing and here comes another. For you anyway, I still struggle even with this one. Just like my page editor, I've been using MS Word since Word 95. And now I'm having to give it up but am not looking forward to learning another beast. Ever since I installed the Facebook Like button, I can't do a single thing and without having it disappear for some strange reason or other.