Is there a search function connected w/ Milonic

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Is there a search function connected w/ Milonic

Post by thewolfe »

I've been looking into adding a search function to my site because I'm getting a lot of info to sift through for a visitor. I see that Google has a paid program but are there any free search engines?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Is there a search function connected w/ Milonic

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Well, there are free ones out there, but I don't know much about any of them. There is one called atomz which wouuld be that http://www.atomz.com, there is also one called jrank that's at http://www.jrank.org You could try a search 'free search engine tools for web pages' and see what else comes up.

As to the atomz one, there is a bunch of stuff in the forum for how to set that up in the menu, as to jrank, I don't know. I'd have to play with that one.

Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I just did some more research and I think what you really need is a 'search script'. This allows you to set up a search for just your site. I'm still doing some more research and will get back to you on what I find out.

Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I am doing some testing on my site. However, I found one free service that is recommended by JavascriptKit. It is a service they use, probably they do paid, but the free service seems to be pretty good. You might want to check it out for yourself. The basic service is free and does up to 1000 pages. http://www.sitelevel.com/products/basic/

Right now I'm trying out some free scripts, but to do it I have to do a bit of work putting it on my pages to test. When I get it tested, I'll get back to you.

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Thanks so much.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

OK, I got one script working. I had to copy and paste it below the body tag on the page. I didn't bother messing with it for the menu until you decide if you like it or not. The script takes you to a page from whichever search engine you have chosen and to get back to your site you either click on whatever links you find that you think are what you want on your site or you click the back button. That seems to be how they all work. So, here is the link to the page, this is one that is really only a duplicate of an existing page but is a different number since I didn't want it on a page that is in my menu.

When you get to the page put in the word remembrance where it now says navigator object in the search box, then choose a search engine and click search so you can see the results. To go back, click the back button and choose another search engine and see its page, and so on.

http://www.poems2u.com/writings/index505.html

I am also working on the atomz one, but that takes a registration so it will take longer to do it.

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

OK Ruth, you can take a little time off from the fix, repair and improve Dougsstuff.com. But just don't go too far away, please.

I love the way my site is coming together so again I say..........thanks.

Blessings,

Doug
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

You are welcome. I think I am going to have to ask you to do the registration at atomz for your site. I am not interested in a search engine and I can't find anything that makes it easy to get rid of once you register for it. I think they have a demo, or if they don't they should. Also, you could contact them and get the info you need to decide if you want to do it. For example, does it place ads on the page, I think many of the free ones do, but don't know how intrusive they are, you'd think there would be a way to just search a site without all this hassle.

I was thinking of another option, but I have to think on it to see how it would work. For example, perhaps you could set up your site in sections. If that were the case then you could generate a site map, there is a function for that already created which would generate a page showing everything in the various sections and what is in them. Again, this is something I have to think about and extrapolate what the results would be, whether that would work or not.

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth,

I pray all is well with you.

Not sure what to do about the search engine. I looked at Atomz but haven't registered yet. It looks sufficient but not sure "we" need to spend time on it at this point. Do I really have that much "stuff" to go through?

Blessings,

Doug
www.dougsstuff.com
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Hi,

Just to put my two pence worth:

We use mnogosearch here at Milonic but you need to install some pretty hefty stuff on the server with cron jobs etc etc etc.

However, you can integrate a cut down Google search into your website with Google Custom Search: http://www.google.com/cse/ - has both paid and a free version.

You could also use an IFRAME in your website and link directly to Google's search engine with this form:

Code: Select all

<form method="get" action="http://www.google.com/search">
	<div style="border:1px solid black;padding:4px;width:20em;">
		<table border="0" cellpadding="0">
			<tr><td> <input type="text" name="q" size="25" maxlength="255" value="" />
				<input type="submit" value="Google Search" />
			</td></tr>
			<tr><td align="center" style="font-size:75%">
				<input type="checkbox" name="sitesearch" value="dougsstuff.com" checked /> only search dougsstuff.com<br />
			</td></tr>
		</table>
	</div>
</form>
Let me know if you want any demos doing.
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth,

I always get my moneys worth with your "pences".

Oh yes, how can I turn down a demo and another adventure.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

:lol: That was Andy!

Actually having a demo of putting a search engine in the menu wouldn't be a bad idea, but now we are back to which search engine do you choose :)

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth and sorry Andy,

Need to pay a little more attention but no one else has ever answered my post.

I guess I'd use Google or Atomz, the free versions. I've looked for working examples of both so I could see what kind of adds they have and how they're displayed but haven't been able to find anything yet.

I'm not sure about how they both work as far as going to a new tab or opening up in the same window or if it makes a difference.

Do you know sites where I can actually see how they work.

And I'm always looking for your opinions any of them.
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth,

Hope your electrical is coming along.

I'm still kicking around the search thing but finding I may need it for myself even if no one else uses it because as I add more "stuff" to the site I have to go back a see that I'm not duplicating myself.

I did see what Google was showing for my site and found the following http://www.dougsstuff.com/dougsstuff%20on%20Google.avi

Not sure if the results had anything to do with my local computer or if that is what everyone see.

Blessings,

Doug
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

That seems to be what the Google search results would be if you used a google search engine for your site, since the engine would be just looking at your site not the whole web.

Electric is at least working, but it will be awhile before I can replace it.

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth,

Does that mean that I could not search for specific words that may be in a couple different docs in a search engine on dougsstuff.com?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Well, back to not getting a notification. Ah well.

I have no idea how it works. I would assume since it is set to search your site, you could search for words. That would seem to me the logical thing, then again, how many logical people/systems are in existence :)

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Hi Ruth, I was looking around Google for some tips to add to my website and found the following:

Site Specific Search:
Often, you want to search a specific website for content that matches a certain phrase. Even if the site doesn’t support a built-in search feature, you can use Google to search the site for your term. Simply use the "site:somesite.com" modifier.

Example: "garlic" site:www.dougsstuff.com

It actually works well but how many people would know to use it?

Blessings,
Doug
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Doug,

I'm not sure. Just where are you putting that "garlic" site:www.dougsstuff.com when you are searching?

Ruth
thewolfe
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by thewolfe »

Sorry Ruth, not such a good explanation.

Just a Google search. Not on my site.