Broken Image on Click

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
motionfuze
Beginner
Beginner

Broken Image on Click

Post by motionfuze »

This issue is only happening in Chrome (v29.0.1547.76). I have a menu bar made up of images. The rollovers work fine, however, on clicking a nav link, a large broken image appears for a second, blowing out the menu container and making the page look really bad momentarily. (See attached) Then, all returns to normal upon page load. It seems as though the script is looking for a "down" state of the button image. This is happening on several sites I have the menu on. Anyone else experiencing this?
Attachments
meinekeOnImage.jpg
meinekeOnImage.jpg (200.85 KiB) Viewed 14376 times
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Broken Image on Click

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Since I don't have Chrome, I posted this direct to Milonic. Just wanted you to know that something is being done. They are generally pretty quick with a response. It would help them if you had a link to that page so they can test and figure out what the issue is.

Ruth
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Hi,

Just spent the last few hours dealing with this very annoying issue.

Looks like a bug with Chrome, occurs with the latest 30.0.1599.66 version as well.

Anyway, what happens is Chrome appears to be resetting properties it should not be touching when the menu resets the image. The problem is inside the itemOff function within the menu that resets the previously highlighted menu item back to OFF state. This all works fine (mousover/mouseout) until you actually click a menu item informing the browser that you would like to go another site. Chrome then changes the .src resulting in a broken image and resizes the image as a square instead of the specified rectangle resulting in the issue you see.

Now, I can spend more hours working on this and fix it but I guess Google will fix this issue within the browser itself in due course, so I have a cunning plan.

What we can do is stop the browser from resetting the item to OFF state when we click a link and the way to do this is to add the following to your menus style:

Code: Select all

type="imagemenu";
Here's how that is applied:

Code: Select all

with(AllImagesStyle=new mm_style()){
styleid=1;
bordercolor="#000000";
borderstyle="solid";
fontstyle="normal";
fontweight="normal";
padding=3;
type="imagemenu";
}
This should help, I know it's a workaround but it's not too much of a pain and the problem will fix itself, by default, in the next version or so of Chrome.

Hope this helps,
Andy
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Just for your information: Andy decided it was an issue he would fix in the menu instead of waiting for Chrome, if they ever did fix the issue, so there is a new release available: Version - Latest - 5.933
Bug Fix - Thursday 3rd October 2013. This will fix the issue of Chrome breaking the images.

Ruth