Submenus no longer working in IE

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:38 pm

Submenus no longer working in IE

Postby vikenk » Thu May 01, 2014 2:45 am

Hello Everyone,

It's been a long time since I have posted here.

I have had reports that the menu is no longer displaying sub menus on a website that I run. When I check the site (www.sayatnova.com), I find that the sub menus no longer appear in IE but everything works in Firefox. I haven't changed my code in a couple of years (v 5.773) and it has suddenly stopped working in IE.

I downloaded the latest latest version to use as a test. When I replace the milonic_src and mmenudom files, the sub menus start working again in IE, however all my menu styling changed and it doesn't look the same. The menu styling is changed in Firefox as well. Hyperlinks now show underlines, spacings have changed, horizontal and vertical text placements have changed, etc.

Is there any way to fix the IE display problem without upgrading the menu?

Viken K.

User avatar
Andy
Milonic
Milonic
Posts: 3307
Joined: Sun May 19, 2002 8:23 pm
Location: Menu Developer
Contact:

Re: Submenus no longer working in IE

Postby Andy » Thu May 01, 2014 8:37 am

I'm afraid not.

The problem is that IE11 pretends to be Firefox and it's not an easy fix.

I'll happily fix the display issues for you though.

vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Submenus no longer working in IE

Postby vikenk » Thu May 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Andy wrote:I'm afraid not.

The problem is that IE11 pretends to be Firefox and it's not an easy fix.


Obviously, IE is not doing a good enough job at pretending to be Firefox. My website works in FF! LOL.

I'm concluding that the newest version of the menu has differences as to how to it inherits or interprets CSS/styling, etc. Most of the changes in my menu structure seem to be related to Styling and Box Model stuff. Hyperlinks now have underlines, which I assume is some sort of CSS inheritance. The menu seems to interpret the "menuwidth" differently, as my "menuwidth="100%";" doesn't force the menu to span the width of the page anymore...

vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Submenus no longer working in IE

Postby vikenk » Sat May 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Andy wrote:I'll happily fix the display issues for you though.


OK Andy, here's your chance. LOL!

It's been years since I edited the menu or made any real structural changes to the website. I had to go back an figure out how I have done everything.

I styled much of the menu appearance using CSS in the website's main style sheet. I added the code below to the stylesheet. It seems that the new version of the menu ignores my CSS styling. It seems that the ".menu" and ".submenu" styles don't work anymore. I used "onclass" and "offclass" commands in the menu_data.js file to link to the CSS in the stylesheet.

Any tips on how to restore my styling?


From "menu_data.js":
with(menuStyle=new mm_style()){
offclass="menu";
onclass="menu";
(and similar command for the submenus)


From my Websites stylesheet"
/****** Below CSS STYLES THE MILONIC MENU *****/

table#menutable { /* Controls the width of the table that houses the menu */
text-align: center;
width: 99%;
/* margin: 0 auto 10px auto; */
margin-bottom: 10px;
}

.menu table { /* Controls the width of menu its self. */
width: 100%;
text-align: center;
margin: 0 auto; /* Added margin on 08/28/06 to center menu in Firefox browsers */
}

.menu table td {
padding: 3px 5px;
vertical-align: top;
}

.menu table td a {
text-decoration: none;
}

.submenu table td {
padding: 3px 5px;
}

.submenu table td a {
text-decoration: none;
}

.menu img {
border: none;
}

.submenu img {
border: none;
}


Return to “Help & Support for DHTML Menu Version 5+”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests