Version 4 Development has started.

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Version 4 Development has started.

Post by Andy »

Hi all,

Version 4 of the menu is finally underway.

We have decided to completely re-write the source code from the ground up. Version 3 has a few issues with scalability that we intend to address.

We intend having a menu system that will not be beaten and we also need to integrate a number of very useful features, some of which have never been seen on web pages before.

-The Design -

My plan is to cut the files up by browser. I had originally planned against this but I think the browsers are just far too different. Even with the advent of the Document Object Model things are still too different between the browsers. Your views on this are appreciated.

The structure of the menu source code will change dramatically too. This idea I have originated a long while ago but my hands were tied with the version 3.x code base and it was way too late to change anything. But what I want to see now is a very basic set of menu instructions in the source code (10 to 15K of very optimized code should do this) this will enable the user to include a menu without bells and whistles into their site. Any additional functionality will need to come from a module file. These will be bolt on files that will give the user special effects, fancy follow scrolling code and all the other clever tools that come with version 3.x but if they are not needed they will not need to be loaded.

As for the array file. I regret there may be few changes to it but we will try and keep things as close to version 3.x format as we can. Unless any of you think that version 3.x format should be changed. We intend having an OOP based menu generator as well as an array based generator (we are not sure how yet) this should keep everybody happy. There will also be functions for adding, deleting and editing menus and menu items at runtime.

If you can think of anything else to add or you would like an addition or improvement made we would like to hear about it. We are currently at the testing stage so now would be a great time to speak up.

Kindest regards
Andy Woolley
Last edited by Andy on Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
profHoosy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by profHoosy »

hi andy,

Can you add a function show and hide to make the menu disappear and reappear programmatically???

:D
Michael
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Hi,

This already exists in v3 - I will probably make it more functional though.

You can use the popup("menuname") function to display a menu and popdn() to hide it.

Cheers
Andy
John
 Team
 Team

Re: Version 4 Development has started.

Post by John »

Andy wrote:My plan is to cut the files up by browser. I had originally planned against this but I think the browsers are just far too different. Even with the advent of the Document Object Model things are still too different between the browsers. Your views on this are appreciated.
Most unfortunate, but given the different browser folks can't get their respective acts together and follow the 'rules' I see no other way (don't tell Peter :D ).

However, I do like the idea of basic vs. fancy menus and the respective modules not loading if they are not needed.

Shucks - whatever you do nobody is going to beat it :!:
John
gerrygerry
Beginner
Beginner

do you have any sort of timeline in mind?

Post by gerrygerry »

I'm sorry to be the one to ask... but every programmer gets hit with this one (usually way too early ;) )... do you have any sort of timeline in mind?

I like that you're splitting up the files... every little byte helps :D
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

I'm hoping to get something ready for March 2003.

Unfortunately it means all support except paying support will have to stop. It's a full time job supporting the menu. It's double full time job developing it.

Cheers
Andy
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

Sniff

I guess I'll see you some time in March then babe :(
Send me a postcard from the office.

xXx
skii

idea for v4

Post by skii »

I REALLY like your menus!!!

It was asked "If you can think of anything else to add or you would like an addition or improvement made we would like to hear"

Heres' an idea: On the main menu... How about allowing it to be bold text and remain bold in the submenus? AS long as the width is defined well, it would look pretty neat

On a side note, I have implemented a search field in the main menu and it does some really weird things in Explorer 6 - using XP like have another row when there isn;t any. Does anyone know of a work around?
FrznAcid
Beginner
Beginner

Release Dates

Post by FrznAcid »

If you are expecting a release date of March 2003 will there be any sort of beta testing for it before then.......

I know you said that there will be dynamic changing of menus at run-time, will this be able to handle loading of the titles from a sepearte place. My ideal plan is if you have "File" "Edit" "View" that these could be in a seperate storage area and can be easily changed by an end-user and it be loaded from either a database or an xml file.

Probably my whole situation with this problem -> http://milonic.com/menu/forum/viewt ... 8f3db430d9
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Beta testing should commence around February if all goes to plan but it never does.

Cheers
Andy
Jonny

Hey it's March 14, Where's the Beta or Release?

Post by Jonny »

Hey Andy!
Your menu is super-duper! Just wondering if v4 is on schedule and if we can get an update.

Also, do you have anything in this new version that relates to the problem with flash movies overlaying the menu?...I thought I read in a few places there is a way to overcome this in both Mozilla and IE.

Thanks,
Jonny
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

We are a little behind now mostly due to us moving offices.

However, everything is kind of back to normal now so I'm hoping to get something out this week - starting 17th March 2003.

Cheers
Andy
xMANIGHTx
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by xMANIGHTx »

I don't know exactly wich kind of HTML code is generated now on runtime from your menu, but I guess having it generate an XHTML code instead would be really useful, since this standard works with all browsers and will assure future compatibility too, even on unusual devices as mobiles, car-browsers, ecc.
So I guess defining somehow the menu properties in a separate css would be fine, or at least generate the css dynamically, based on the arrays. Anyway, to stay in the XHTML standard, just avoid any <font><width> and so on tag.
It would be nice to have the menu "arrays" defined in XML file too.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Given that the message from Andy was posted almost 2 months ago, you're just a tad behind :D

So - check it out... http://milonic.com/4beta/menu.htm.
John
xMANIGHTx
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by xMANIGHTx »

Sorry guys.. time is running fast and sometimes I get warped away ;)