Menu v.5.0 RC 8.0 and TreeMenu from www.treeview.net

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
devoxide
Beginner
Beginner

Menu v.5.0 RC 8.0 and TreeMenu from www.treeview.net

Post by devoxide »

Hi

We are currently developing a new intranet where we are using v.5.0 of the Milonic dhtml menu. Our problem is that a error is reported by IE whenever a page loads and this causes dhtml menu to not display anything at all. The treeview menu works.
Disabling the code for either the treeview or the dhtml menu makes the remaining running without errors. So I guess the problem is related to compatibility between these two.

The error reported: " 'length' is null or not an object "

I can not find any code that has the same definition in either menu codes.

On our internet site we are using v.3.5.15 and v.4.6 of the treeview flawlessly.

We are using the following versions on our intranet:
- Milonic menu Version 5.0 Release Candidate 8.0 Built: Monday August 25 2003 - 9:31

and
- TreeView v.4.6 from http://www.treeview.net

Anyone else have any experience with this?
8O
devoxide
Beginner
Beginner

strange

Post by devoxide »

I just found out that this error only occurs whenever i place the menu definition file within a td tag in the body to have it locked to a table cell..
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Note that we are currently at RC14 of v5. That puts you much more than just 6 releases down, as each RC has had numerous sub-releases.

I'd get up to current first (and stay current, as they're coming out pretty fast now - final is extremely close), and keep us posted on how things are going.
John
devoxide
Beginner
Beginner

Post by devoxide »

Hi

I upgraded our code to RC 14. The problem persist.

I use the code exactly as the "DHTML Menu sample number 9
Relative Positioning (Table Bound)" example suggest. The menus are both displaying and no errors if I keep all the milonic code (js include sstatements) within the <head> section of my html, but as soon as I move any code into the <body> section to place the menu within a tabel cell (table bound), the error pops up again.

Annoying, I might have to revert to v.3.5.15 which is bad as I was planning on moving our internet site over to V5 sometime as we have a CMS system which gives us shared code across our sites.
devoxide
Beginner
Beginner

Post by devoxide »

I have provided a code sample which demonstrates the error. The code is similar to our actual production code and gives the same error.

It is downloadable here
From http://www.odegard.it/milonicerror/tree-test.zip
devoxide
Beginner
Beginner

Post by devoxide »

Ooooo Myyy !

Do I feel like the definite idiot ?

The error disappeared when i moved all references to the milonic js's from
the <head> section down so they where the first statements in the <body> section.

Problem solved ! :D
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Many of us have had better luck with the following...

1. Put everything back into the menu_data.js the way it was originally (with your menu definitions, of course).

2. In the <td> where you want the menu, have only the following call...

Code: Select all

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="menu_data.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
Of course, if it's now working to your satisfaction, don't mess with it!
John