Hidediv - Bit the dust?

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
tepidarium
Mega User
Mega User

Hidediv - Bit the dust?

Post by tepidarium »

Hi All,

I know I asked a similar question about hiding embedded objects, but because this message pertains specifically to the "hidediv" parameter, I thought it would be ok to start a new thread.

Through searching this forum, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. hidediv paramter worked in v3.5 of Milonic Menu
2. hidediv parameter does not currently work in v5 of Milonic Menu.

On Milonic's website, the Menu, as it drops down over a form, viewed in Netscape 4.x will not render over form objects - see: (must use netscape 4x or Opera 5? (not sure about v6 or 7) to see effect:

http://milonic.com/login.php?pge=/mydetails.php

Is it true that, pending a revision to the menu, there is not currently a fix for this problem?

Thanks... :P
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

As far as I know, the hidediv was deemed unnecessary since most newer main stream browsers work with the Milonic DHTML menu and play nice with forms. You have to understand there has to be a line drawn on what browsers to support, you can only go back so far while still allowing yourself to move forward.

We're not down for the count here, we've come up with tons of work arounds in the past. Seems like Kevin's already got a head start on it and his little snippet of code may well work for you. But we'll see if we can figure this one out soon. ;) Dont give up on us!
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
tepidarium
Mega User
Mega User

Post by tepidarium »

Hergio wrote: You have to understand there has to be a line drawn on what browsers to support, you can only go back so far while still allowing yourself to move forward.
You're absolutely right, can't stay tethered to the old browsers forwever. I just want to see how backwards compatible it is.

Hergio wrote:We're not down for the count here, we've come up with tons of work arounds in the past. Seems like Kevin's already got a head start on it and his little snippet of code may well work for you. But we'll see if we can figure this one out soon. ;) Dont give up on us!
I won't! :)
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Perhaps hidediv will appear down the road. Some things that used to be embeded objects in older browsers (e.g., iframes were, I think, originally just another embeded instance of the browser) are now produced directly by the browser, so layering is possible. But there are still embeded objects (e.g., applets; flash) that still give some layering problems for even some newer browsers; so a built-in hidediv capability might still be a valuable touch.

In the meantime, I've updated an approach to hiding divs that I used in version 3, to work (I think) with version 5. See this thread for more details if you're interested.

Kevin