Highlighting in Menu Current Section/Page

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
tepidarium
Mega User
Mega User

Highlighting in Menu Current Section/Page

Post by tepidarium »

Milonic.com's implementation of their menu does something very nice - for the particular page the user is on, the corresponding top level section and specific section item in the menu is highlighted. I am wondering how this is done. Is this done manually in the menu on each page, or is there some global style to set - i.e. when a page is on a corresponding url does the menu know to use the rollover state for those particular menu items...

example:

http://milonic.com/styleproperties.php

This is the Style Properties Quick Reference page. In the Menu - the top level "DHTML Menu" label is highlighted and the next level, "Style Properties Quick Reference " is highlighted.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

What you're after is pagecolor and pagebgcolor (and maybe pageimage as well). Go back to the quickrefs for the full scoop.
John
tepidarium
Mega User
Mega User

Post by tepidarium »

Thanks John. That seems like a great feature.

If I could only find a function to hide flash when submenus display :-)
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

You can, do a search in the version 5 forum for flash and wmode. That might clear up your problem. If that doesn't work, I believe Kevin may be fiddling with a fix for netscape browsers to hide flash.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
tepidarium
Mega User
Mega User

Post by tepidarium »

Hergio wrote:You can, do a search in the version 5 forum for flash and wmode. That might clear up your problem. If that doesn't work, I believe Kevin may be fiddling with a fix for netscape browsers to hide flash.
Hi Dave - The relevant information regarding wmode settings that I've found in this forum and other places on line calls for using the
"<param name="wmode" value="transparent"> "

This fix doesn't seem to work for Netscape & some versions of opera. I was hoping that hidediv trick might work. I'm looking forward to kevin's fix if there is one. Thanks all.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

tepidarium wrote:Thanks John. That seems like a great feature
You're welcome.

Actually, this Milonic DHTML menu is jammed full of great features (as if you didn't already know that!).
John
tepidarium
Mega User
Mega User

Post by tepidarium »

jgillett wrote:
tepidarium wrote:Thanks John. That seems like a great feature
You're welcome.

Actually, this Milonic DHTML menu is jammed full of great features (as if you didn't already know that!).
Absolutely, I've been looking for a solution like this for my school for sometime and this seems like a great package. I've applied for a free license and I hope we can get one. If we don't qualify for a free license, we will buy one.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Would you mind a small, but blatant, plug?

<soapbox>
I work for a university, and we qualify for a free as well. However, I went ahead and had them buy a support package anyway (this was before licensing). For the quality of the product you get from Milonic, not to mention the support and dedication (not from us - from Andy himself), ~34 bucks just isn't that much to come up with.
</soapbox>

BTW, this is not meant to be picking on you. It's just a general statement from this old mind. ;)
John
tepidarium
Mega User
Mega User

Post by tepidarium »

jgillett wrote:Would you mind a small, but blatant, plug?

<soapbox>
I work for a university, and we qualify for a free as well. However, I went ahead and had them buy a support package anyway (this was before licensing). For the quality of the product you get from Milonic, not to mention the support and dedication (not from us - from Andy himself), ~34 bucks just isn't that much to come up with.
</soapbox>

BTW, this is not meant to be picking on you. It's just a general statement from this old mind. ;)
Sounds great, and you're right. The way the purchasing dept. around here works - it can take over a month to get an order through and I'll have to wait that long to implement the menu system. Ideally, I'd like to begin with the free license & then move up to Pro. (not sure when I will find out if our College qualifies)
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Marty is swamped with free requests right now, but she will get back to you ASAP.
John