a few screwies, or bugs?

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Jason
Advanced
Advanced

a few screwies, or bugs?

Post by Jason »

Finally sprung for the license today when I happened by looking for an upgrade, 3.x was a little creaky. I saw the converter for menu_array and wrongly assumed that would be the whole of conversion ;)

After spending several hours chasing around the new site looking for answers I've fixed a few problems and others remain. Also figured out this may not be a stable/final release? Ah well, soon I hope.

For that reason I didn't know if this post should go under bug reports or help. I choose HELP! cuz I need it ;)

Kept a running list of problems if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it:
list-o-buggeries

that's the only page running 5, the rest will be 3 if you need to compare anything.

Thanks a ton for the help
Jason
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Ok here are something things.....
am getting a javascript error, line 9 char 1 (body tag) object expected
I see no errors whatsoever on IE6/WinXP, what browser and OS are you using?
any page with this menu on it hangs completely in Opera - status bar will show between 7k and 16k loaded then it stops, white screen and never moves beyond that point
I loaded it in Opera 7 on my computer and it loaded fine...same question as above.
Having trouble getting the styling to match the version 3 I had up, in particular the white borders around the subs. Click any link in the menu above to go to a page with the old menu in action to see difference
In your style called dropStyle you have a property called bordercolor set to ffffff, this is setting the border around the entire sub to be white. Comment out the line along with the borderstyle and borderwidth properties to remove it. Also you have borderwidth set in each menu definition, this also needs to be removed to get rid of the border around the menu.
The IE specific filter effects did not translate and I'm not having much luck finding documentation on them for v5
Menu styles have an overfilter and and outfilter which can be set to any of the filters that we used in v3. You have effect set to a filter at the top of your file. Set overfilter = effect in your dropStyle and that should do it.

Hope this helps solve some of your problems. Let us know if you need ANY more help with the Milonic DHTML Menu!
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

I also can view the test page just fine with both Opera 6.05 and Opera 7.20, in Win2k.

Hmmm.... I kinda like those white borders around the submenus. ;)

Kevin
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

I can see it ok too in IE6 and Avant.

I personally like the shaded menus. Good stuff.
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Egh thats what posting in the early am can do to ya...I wanted to say that too by the way and I forgot. Very nice and sharp looking site. The menus look very nice, crisp and clean. Nice job on your site. If I was interested in purchasing machined spindles and the like, I would definetly come to you. :lol:
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Ditto all the gang above. No problems at all (or errors) in IE6, NS7.1, or Opera7.11 under XP Pro.

Exactly what are you running there?
John
Jason
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jason »

odd stuff to say the least. I was at my office when I posted that, on a WAMP test server. I uploaded it to the liveservertestbed and no js error this morning from home.

Downloaded it to my test server here at home, also WAMP and no js error either.

And the fitful opera was at the office as well, 7.10 here is rendering the page as expected.

:evil: <--- rarely get to use that guy =)

I'll hack around on the other issues today and rest easier with this active community backin me, thanks a ton everybody, kind words and help are always appreciated.

oh yeah, I like the white border as well, if I could match border-top with the dark blue line I'd use it as is. Perhaps I'll drop the subs 1 pixel and see if that's acceptable.

thanks
Jason
Jason
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jason »

I've got the new one to an acceptable state, THANKS very much to everyone who chimed in.

The IE filters seem to tax the processor a bit. Anyone got info on which effects suck what amount of resources, or a comparisoon type look? They're barely acceptable on a 500mhz Celeron but a 2+ghz P4 does fine if nothing's competing for processor at the time. I sure love the look but dunno if the performance issue is worth it in the end.

Should I put the open issues in the bug forum or is it still all about me?

thanks again
Jason
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Well, I hate to pick on the new guy, but - with all these folks having no problems I don't see the menu being the culprit.
John
Jason
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jason »

well I love to pick on the old hands - got solution for the image size and 1px border issues?

=D
Jason
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

I dont really know the specifics on what takes up more resources, but having any 'moving' effects like the one you have can appear to work slower on lesser power machines. Try just using alpha or fade or shadow. Those are most common and even if the CPU was alittle slow, you wouldn't necessarily notice it as much as you would as a slowly unfolding menu.

Ahh, mind your manners! I dont understand your borde problem. Just remove the border attributes. What do you mean by scruntched up js?
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
Jason
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jason »

mind my manners?! pft!
*pokes Dave and John with a sharp stick... mmm, soft*
Seriously, apologies if I offended, it was never my intent.

Yes I did finally see the border bit, it was down in each individual menu chunk, in the end I liked the white after dropping them all a pixel.

By the scrunched code I mean the other menu js files, besides the menu_data.js, the entire thing is scrunched into one line making it difficult, near impossible, to read. But the point is moot with me finding of the real cuplrit in the menu_data file, thanks for the pointer.

The only puzzler left of my original post is the image size problem but since it's solved, cross browser too, by just removing the width spec, I'm ok with that. I'm still all ears though.

Good stuff is this menu. Good help too, thanks!
Jason
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Jason wrote:By the scrunched code I mean the other menu js files, besides the menu_data.js, the entire thing is scrunched into one line making it difficult, near impossible, to read. But the point is moot with me finding of the real cuplrit in the menu_data file, thanks for the pointer.
Just to be picky (again), the code in those 3 files is not meant to be read, and especially not changed - ergo, scrunched. The only file that needs tinkering is the data file - period.

Messing with any of the main code means it's not going to work, AND all support stops, licensed or not.
Jason wrote:Good stuff is this menu. Good help too, thanks!
Kind words most appreciated! The real key to the Milonic menu is, of course, Andy.
John
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Jason wrote:mind my manners?! pft!
*pokes Dave and John with a sharp stick... mmm, soft*
ROTFLMAO :lol:

I'm not sure Dave's "manners" comment was directed at you... I got the impression he was "picking on himself" about the "slowly unfolding menus" observation. But what the heck do I know? I think I'll just butt out now... (we need an emoticon for butting out ;) )

Kevin
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Nah you didnt offend. If we get ticked up here, we'll whip out the 'ol :evil: face. hehe Man I love using that...makes me feel tough even though I am on the other side of a computer, grr! :lol:

Glad you got most of the problems nipped. Not sure why thats the way it is on the image size stuff, but if it works it works! Enjoy!
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

jgillett wrote: Just to be picky (again), the code in those 3 files is not meant to be read, and especially not changed - ergo, scrunched. The only file that needs tinkering is the data file - period.

... except to add in your licence number[/quote]
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

fredlongworthhighschool wrote:
jgillett wrote: Just to be picky (again), the code in those 3 files is not meant to be read, and especially not changed - ergo, scrunched. The only file that needs tinkering is the data file - period.
... except to add in your licence number
OK, I'll be picky (again) - I did say the code was not meant to be changed, no mention about the comments... :lol:
John
Jason
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jason »

Ahoy! look what I found when I formatted the javascript for easier reading:

Code: Select all

i,i                  
               .   iMW8Z8BM8               
       7:::::,,MWWW82XXXXXZ;               
     ;iMBBBBBBZ2XXXXXXXXXX2S.ri            
     aW2XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX28WWBBB0S.