onMouseover a form element, menu disappears

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
bonewalker
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

onMouseover a form element, menu disappears

Post by bonewalker »

Hey All,

I have a menu that uses forms. One of the form elements is a <select> box. Below that is a text box, then a submit button.

My problem is that whenever you click on the dropdown, and then move your mouse over one of the selections, the menu disappears, apparently thinking you have moused out of the menu. This doesn't occur in NS 7.1, so far just IE.

Has anyone run into this before and solved it? Or is it just how the browser interprets things and there isn't much we can do about it?

http://www.bakeru.edu/site_test/directo ... ctory.html

Thanks,

Bonewalker
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

I tested it, mac ie 5.1.7 no problem.
maz
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Bonewalker,

You could try adding the menu property, keepalive=1; in your "mm search" menu, or add the menu item property keepalive=1; to your "Search" menu item. In my experience, however, the keepalive menu property (as opposed to the menu item property) doesn't quite work as described in the docs...
keepalive, tells a menu to remain open once it has been activated. The only way to close the menu is to select a menu item, another menu or click elsewhere on the page
It does close when you mouse over another menu, but I find that it won't close when you click elsewhere on the page (i.e., it works much like the description for the same property used in a calling menu item). But there are ways around that. i.e., put a small close button somewhere in the form, set an onclick event in the body to call closeallmenus(), others...

Hope that helps,

Kevin
bonewalker
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by bonewalker »

Good suggestions, Kevin. Thanks.

I will give them a shot soon and report back.

Bonewalker