Filter display bug/ problem

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
bzeitner
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Filter display bug/ problem

Post by bzeitner »

I hadn't noticed this until just now, so I don't know if it's a new or existing bug. I don't have any older menu versions to roll back to, but I'm using RC17 build date 14OCT2003 12:55.

With the Shadow filter, the shadow won't appear over <SELECT> menus. It appears everywhere except where the select menu is.

I think it may have something to do with the OS having more control over those menus than IE currently does (as IE hasn't yet implemented a feature to even change the way they look other than font). And since it's an IE filter.... On the other hand, it may have nothing to do with that fact.

I'm using Windows 2000 SP4 and IE6.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Yup, nothing you can do about it. Its a 'bug' that IE has. Its just the way IE renders filters and form objects when they overlap. It has nothing to do with the menu. If you give a table a shadow filter, put it on a layer and hover it over a select box, you will get the same effect. It ain't that bad though, is it? It could be worse! ;)
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
bzeitner
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by bzeitner »

I thought as much. Supposedly the next major release of IE is going to account for this, where the browser will take complete control over those boxes, allowing CSS to have a much greater impact on how they look, and how issues such as this are resolved.

And no, it's not THAT bad ;) Just a little distracting on some of my forms.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Take a look at http://www.sitepoint.com/newsletter/vie ... mat=html#5 if you want yet another IE headache :!:

Why is it that M$ thinks they are always right and the rest of the world is always wrong :?: :evil:

Andy, I think these guys are from your side of the pond.
John
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Andy, I think these guys are from your side of the pond
Who. . . Where. . . What. . . wasn't me, can't prove anything :P

Who ya talkin about John?

-- Andy.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Andy wrote:Who ya talkin about John?
The guys who wrote the Editorial in the link I posted above...
John
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

I think they are in CA/USA, John - well according to there contact us page anyway. Could be wrong though, has been known :)

Anyway, the problem with the shadow is due to our workaround for the menus over select objects. By default the menu will sit under form select objects so we add a little spice to make it better.

The reason the menu will sit under form selects is because the select box has a z-Index of infinity. This allows it to fall off the browser window. if you've ever opened a really big select box on a small browser window you will see it appear outside the browser window. This is the same for Java Applets too. Can't give too much info as to how we combat it (it's a secret) but as Dave says there isn't much one can do and it could be worse.

I don't, personally, see it as a bug. Unfortunately we are restricted by how the web browsers are built and it's kinda out of our hands.

Cheers
Andy