Main menu follows scroll, but submenus stay behind - NS4.7

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
gporterfield
Advanced
Advanced

Main menu follows scroll, but submenus stay behind - NS4.7

Post by gporterfield »

This is a problem that appears in NS4.79 (of course :? )

See test site at http://www.ctbc.org/test using NS4.7. This is a test site as stated in the pop-up and many of the links (and several menu items) are not finished yet.

Scroll down about the height of one screen. The main menu follows as it should. Then mouse over any of the menu items. When I do this, all I can see of the submenus is the very bottom. They seem to be positioned at the offset from the original position of the main menu, not from the current position.

Is this a bug? A problem with my code? Or is there a conflict with the DHTML API that I am also using?

BTW, I also find that sometimes the submenus do not respond to the mouse clicks. The java console in NS reports that MouseX is not defined in mmenuns4.js.

Any ideas?

TIA,
George
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

While you are running RC17, there have been 3 or 4 releases since the one you have. Current as of this message is...

Version 5.0 Release Candidate 17.0 Built: Thursday October 16 2003 - 14:39

Note the Built: date.

I don't have 4.79 to look at your problem, but try that update. If that doesn't help come on back.

There's a pretty hefty debate going on now, both here and on my campus, as to how far back we should support. From the numbers I'm seeing it looks like that version accounts for a gigantic 1-2% of all browsers used. True, there are a lot of folks on the 'net, and if you translate that to numbers it looks big, but nowhere near what the other browsers are doing. My personal feeling is it's not worth my time to write special code (speaking web pages now, not Milonic menu) for the old stuff when 1) it's so easy to upgrade, and 2) so few folks are affected.
John
gporterfield
Advanced
Advanced

Post by gporterfield »

I did update to the latest date release of RC17, but that didn't help.

In fact, in doing some further testing using NS7, I found another problem. The background colors of the main menu continues all the way across the screen. Also, the submenues do not position properly (seem to be offset from top left corner of main vertical menu instead of right side) and also bleed bgcolor all the way across the screen.

I understand about the small audience for NS4, but I would very much like to include it if there is a simple fix. (Could be my code or a conflict with the DHTML API library that I am using.)

George
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Problem fixed - Should see the fix appear in the next release of which will be a full/final release so may not be available for a few days yet, got plenty of testing to do

Cheers
Andy