Reduntant Frames!

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
PK
Beginner
Beginner

Reduntant Frames!

Post by PK »

Hi,

I'm new to this piece of software but impressed enough to want to implement this on my amateur geology web site. However, I have always used frames initially with Frontpage 2000. Now I use GoLive 6 and want to get rid of frames in order to use your menu systems.

Query: How much work is involved in getting rid of frame-based systems? Is it a fairly transparent process to implement a Milonic navigation menu.

PK
http://www.cpgs.org.uk
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

It depends on how you want to go about it. Does your server support PHP or ASP? If so, you could use the INCLUDES command to add the JS calls to every page.

I just decided to go with IFRAMES. It did mean a little more work adding some scroll functions to each page, but I am more than happy with the results. My particular issue was covered here:

http://milonic.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=iframes
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
PK
Beginner
Beginner

Post by PK »

Andy,

Thanks for that.

I have recently moved my web site from Virgin Net to Easily.co.uk As it happens Easily do support ASP & PHP.

I'll look into what's involved.

PK
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

DEFINETLY use asp or php, it will make your life so much easier. Essentially all the stuff like your old navigation or banner along with the includes for the milonic menu code can all be in a .asp page. And then in all your pages throughout the site, you just 'include' it so they all use that one copy of the menu and banner. The include syntax is different depending on which language you use. Goood luck, let us know if you need any assistance, if so, post it up.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
PK
Beginner
Beginner

Resourses!

Post by PK »

Dave,

I'm not a web developer and don't quite know where to start regarding Active Server Pages. Is there a 'readable' book that you could recommend or perhaps a decent web site that you know of that would give me some indication of the steps I need to take.

Paul