Delay opening menus

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
rsa1
Beginner
Beginner

Delay opening menus

Post by rsa1 »

I've set the _menuOpenDelay to 0 and there is still a noticable delay of around 50 milliseconds opening the submenus. Any way around this?
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Sorry, but do you really think that short a delay is going to be a problem for 99.999% of users? Consider other sources of delay in the chain - browser, OS, etc. A lot has to happen before anything can happen...
John
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

Have you used the script compressor utility on the Milonic site? I can't imagine it will speed things up much more but may help a little.
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
rsa1
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rsa1 »

Well, the short answer is "yes." The longer answer is that we are considering replacing our current menuing system, CoolMenus, with Milonic. On the same machine with exacly the same menu there is no noticable delay with CoolMenus while there is with Milonic. In order to make the case for moving to the new menu system I need to assure the team that there will be no degradation in functionality or usability.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

rsa1 wrote:In order to make the case for moving to the new menu system I need to assure the team that there will be no degradation in functionality or usability.
I'm not familiar with the system you're using now, but of the others I have seen and tested I can assure you (and I do not work for Milonic!) no other comes even close in terms of flexibility, ease of use, and support. No, not us, but Andy. I've seen suggestions get posted here, and Andy shoot a new version up in an hour. He cares about his customers and his product, a somewhat rare item these days.
John
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

Are you implementing any filters? A fade, opacity, shadow? This will slow down the rendering of a menu. Remove all overfilters and outfilters.
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."