images not showing up in submenus

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
cw_wd_riot
Advanced
Advanced

images not showing up in submenus

Post by cw_wd_riot »

Link to website

If you look at the drop down menu under Special Ed. Staff, you'll notice a broken image. Everything is correct in the code. I can copy menu_data.js from the webserver and place it in my test website on my local machine and everything will look fine. I want to add more images to the menu bar, but when I tried to yesterday, all the images exept the down arrow on the main bar did not show up. All the images are in *.gif format and are stored in the same folder as menu_data.js.[/url]
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

A big part of the problem is you're using RC17 (good), and your license number is posted (extra good!), but you are not using the correct JS calls for this version.

Read the install.txt file that's in the download (kinda why it's there!), make those fixes, then let us know.
John
cw_wd_riot
Advanced
Advanced

Post by cw_wd_riot »

I read the install file and copied the HTML code from the install file into the code for my top shared border's code directly after the <body> tag. If I look at just the top shared border's code in IE6.0, the menu looks fine. When I go to the actual homepage of the website, the menu is gone and I have an error.

Line: 16
Char: 1770
Error: Object expected
Code: 0
URL: http://www.henderson.k12.ky.us/instruct ... /index.htm

I remember that I had this error when I first implemented the menu sometime last month, and somewhere on the message board I saw a discussion about js calls, where someone had posted another HTML code for the js calls. I used those and everthing worked good, except for the images in the menu. Now that I've put the HTML code for the js calls that are in the INSTALL.txt file, the menu doesn't work again.

I downloaded the menu again from the website just to make sure everything is new and the same version. Now, I'm on RC18.[/url]
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Change your menu references to this:

Code: Select all

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="_borders/milonic_src.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>	
	<script	language=JavaScript>
	if(ns4)_d.write("<scr"+"ipt language=JavaScript src=_borders/mmenuns4.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");		
	  else _d.write("<scr"+"ipt language=JavaScript src=_borders/mmenudom.js><\/scr"+"ipt>"); 
	</script>
	<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="_borders/menu_data.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
You might also want to add the full path to the above files. Once you start going inside sub directories, the above locations will fail

-- Andy
cw_wd_riot
Advanced
Advanced

Post by cw_wd_riot »

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. I had read about the relative and absolute addressing problems others had, but I wasn't sure where to put the absolute address into the HTML code.

And you're going to love this....

Now that I can see the menu again. The images still aren't showing up...

Do I need to put the path for the images in menu_data.js? I.E. image=http://www.xxx.com/xxx/xxx/image.gif

Jon
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

cw_wd_riot wrote:Do I need to put the path for the images in menu_data.js?
Yes, of course! It does not have to be a full URL as you have shown - server-relative will work nicely.
John
cw_wd_riot
Advanced
Advanced

Post by cw_wd_riot »

Thanks...

Jon