how to: set up non Java menu option

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
serenity
Beginner
Beginner

how to: set up non Java menu option

Post by serenity »

I read somewhere on this site that it is good to set up a non java menu for the search bots and for people that do not have java enabled but I can not find any how to information. Could someone please provide me with the script and how and where to set up my menu???? TY in advance. :oops:
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

for non javascript browsers you use this code

Code: Select all

<noscript>whatever you want to put here that they will see, links etc. </noscript>
I think I remember someone saying in one of the forums that the bots didn't like that or something, so for that I guess you'd just put in regular html text links way below all the content on the page. I believe someone suggested using the same background color for the text color in the links making them invisible. Just some ideas

Ruth
serenity
Beginner
Beginner

Post by serenity »

thanks a bunch. I may just set up a table of contents page of some sorts and that way I don't have to alter all of my pages. just something for the bots.
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

innkeeper9 wrote:for non javascript browsers you use this code

Code: Select all

<noscript>whatever you want to put here that they will see, links etc. </noscript>
I think I remember someone saying in one of the forums that the bots didn't like that or something, ...
Hi,

If I recall correctly, the comment about the bots not liking links in <noscript> blocks was made in reference to the link to milonic.com that is required for pages using a free menu license. The comment came up here, if that's the one you're referring to Ruth.

I think using the <noscript> is probably a good way to go. You'll find a good discussion of what you can do to get the search engines to spider your site in this article on the milonic site, written by Mitko Gerensky-Greene, of WebSage

Just my two cents... Cheers,

Kevin