Tool tip issues

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
dbaron
Advanced
Advanced

Tool tip issues

Post by dbaron »

I am trying to implement tool tips in my horizontal menu bar. The tips come up as expected, but there are a couple of issues that I would like to raise.

The first issue has to do with the Maximum Width (M_maxWidth var in the .js file). It seems that no matter what I entered there, the tips would come out 'full length'. So I examined the code and there appeared to be a block within the buildTips() function that dealt with max length:

if(M_maxWidth&&_gp[3]>M_maxWidth)
{
spos(_ttgm,_n,_n,_n,M_maxWidth);
}

The line beginning with spos was commented out. I uncommented it and it seems to work fine now on IE6 (Windows), but not NS7.1. So, the questions are: Was this supposed to be commented out? Is there any danger in un-commenting it? When will it work properly on Netscape?

The second issue has to do with tool tip placement on the screen. When you have tips that appear 'near' the right edge of the page, they can easily go 'beyond' the page width - many time almost completely being displayed 'off-screen'. Since the tips are really menu objects, do you think you could enhance the code a bit to force the tip to the left enough so that it is completely visible - just like you do with real popup menu objects?

Thank you.
gardenguy
Advanced
Advanced

M_maxWidth ???

Post by gardenguy »

I too wonder how M_maxWidth is supposed to work. Setting it has no effect on the width of the tip.
The code referenced in this post is no longer in there.
In fact M_maxWidth does only appears the one time in tootips.js.
Please advise how one caused the tips to wrap in a pixel or % of window.
Thanks