cool menu effect - is this possible with the menu

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
irubin
Beginner
Beginner

cool menu effect - is this possible with the menu

Post by irubin »

Hello,

Is this effect possible with the menu - http://www.quark.com/ (top nav).

Thanks.

Roy
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Hi Roy,

The script that does it is in the site's init.js file... it's ypslideoutmenu, from youngpup.net. It's a pretty cool effect, to be sure, but as far as I can tell, using this menu is limited to newer browsers. The effect itself is achieved through some pretty heavy js coding, rather than a Microsoft DirectX transition effect.

You can get a similar, but not identical, effect in the Milonic menu by defining transitions in the overfilter and outfilter properties of the menu style. The only transitions that I can come up with that would be similar would cause a "wipe" effect rather than a slide effect (wipe down for mouseover, wipe up for mouseout). You could try the following combinations in your menu style:

Code: Select all

overfilter="Blinds(direction='down',bands=1,duration=0.4)";
outfilter="Blinds(direction='up',bands=1,duration=0.4)";
--or--

Code: Select all

overfilter="GradientWipe(WipeStyle=1,motion='forward',duration=0.4)";
outfilter="GradientWipe(WipeStyle=1,motion='reverse',duration=0.4)";
Either pair will give a wipe effect. Change the duration value in each filter for a slower or faster rendering of the effect. You might also want to reduce the value of _menuOpenDelay at the top of the menu_data.js file, so that the mouseover effect is triggered more quickly (personally, I'd set _menuOpenDelay=0 ).

Also, since these (and other filters) are DirectX transition effects, they will only work in IE5.5+

Hope that helps,

Kevin