Pasting license number in the milonic_src.js file

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Marc-Andre.Roberge@mus.ul
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Pasting license number in the milonic_src.js file

Post by Marc-Andre.Roberge@mus.ul »

While I understand the point in jgillett's recent message asking to paste one's Milonic license number in the appropriate spot in the milonic_src.js file, it seems to me that it is quite annoying to do this every time an RC is issued, which is several times a week. Wouldn't it be more simple to paste one's number in the personalized menu file (or as part of the template used to build the various files that make up a site)?

By the way, am I right in assuming that a "release candidate" precedes the actual version and that the day will come when successions of RCs will be replaced by point releases, e.g. 5.1, 5.2?
John
 Team
 Team

Re: Pasting license number in the milonic_src.js file

Post by John »

Marc-Andre.Roberge@mus.ul wrote:While I understand the point in jgillett's recent message asking to paste one's Milonic license number in the appropriate spot in the milonic_src.js file, it seems to me that it is quite annoying to do this every time an RC is issued, which is several times a week.
Sorry, but I don't see where a simple copy/paste, a few seconds at best, should be annoying.
Marc-Andre.Roberge@mus.ul wrote:Wouldn't it be more simple to paste one's number in the personalized menu file (or as part of the template used to build the various files that make up a site)?
The first thing I look at when starting on a problem is the _src file to see what version is being used. If it's not current, there's usually not much reason (depending on the problem) going any further until it is. Therefore, I don't even see the _data file.
Marc-Andre.Roberge@mus.ul wrote:By the way, am I right in assuming that a "release candidate" precedes the actual version and that the day will come when successions of RCs will be replaced by point releases, e.g. 5.1, 5.2?
Correct. RC is a step past beta, but not quite final.
John
Marc-Andre.Roberge@mus.ul
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Marc-Andre.Roberge@mus.ul »

My point is that whenever you update with a new RC, you need to open the file in, say, Notepad, locate the spot where you must write the number, locate the number itself if you do not have it in front of your eyes, type it into the file, save and close the file. All this rather than simply select the new unzipped files and upload them to the server. I know that this may take just one minute in all, but how many such minutes do we have to spend each day on such details that are not not really productive? And the list is growing constantly, with no apparent relief in sight.

Furthermore, unless I am right, you can check whether a user has the latest scr file regardless of whether the license number has been typed into the file or not.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Without going into details, and the increasing abuse of the use of the menu without being licensed, let's just say it is a big help to us to have the license number right there.

Still, IMHO, not too much to ask.

Thank you.
John
rudy
Mega User
Mega User

How can you see the users _scr file?

Post by rudy »

If I give you my Web site URL with the menu in it, how can you see the _scr file? All you would see is the Script code in the file wouldn't you? Or when you talk about looking at one's _scr file, it is when the user post their _scr code here on the forum?

I've noticed team members responding to users questions and refer to the _scr file not being up-to-date, but I don't see that the user posting the question has provide all or part of the _scr file to the forum for you to review.

Confused
Rudy
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Dear Confused -

All we need is your URL (which is exactly why we ask for it on the message posting page!). From that we are able to see all your HTML and menu code and data files. Saves a lot of room here on the Forum!
John
rudy
Mega User
Mega User

Still a bit confused...

Post by rudy »

If you go to my URL with the menu on it, and click View "Source" in from the browsers toolbar, all you would see is something like I have pasted below and as far as I can see this does not tell you the RC, or does it?

Code: Select all

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="milonic_src.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>	
	<script	language=JavaScript>
	if(ns4)_d.write("<scr"+"ipt language=JavaScript src=mmenuns4.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");		
	  else _d.write("<scr"+"ipt language=JavaScript src=mmenudom.js><\/scr"+"ipt>"); 
	</script>
	<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="menuquizaplus_data.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

The only place that I have the milonic_scr.js file is on my local hard drive and on my server so I still can't understand how you can tell what version or RC update I am using.

You should be about ready to pull your hair out with me - sorry, just trying to learn.
Rudy
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

You are correct - nothing you have posted above shows your actual data, RC, etc. However, it does tell us how to get at those items (and more).

Post just your URL and I'll show you how it works.
rudy wrote:You should be about ready to pull your hair out with me - sorry, just trying to learn.
Not at all. We all started at the beginning. The only difference is some of us have been doing it longer than others.
John
rudy
Mega User
Mega User

jgillett - Posting my url as requested

Post by rudy »

Rudy
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

OK...

Frames. :( Really don't like frames (sorry).

You're running -
Version 5.0 Release Candidate 46 Built: Wednesday January 28 2004 - 11:27

Your license is -
License Number:1xxxx6 (I took out the middle)

Your data file is -
menuquizaplusdemo_data.js (good grief!)

The style definition starts out -
with(windows98style=new mm_style()){
onbgcolor="#000000";
oncolor="#FFFFFF";
etc.

It's simply a matter of plugging your URL together with the path info in your HTML (the JS call info you posted a few messages back), which then shows us exactly the file we need to look at.

Sometimes folks will post code because their site is on a private intranet or password protected, and that's the only way we can see it. Unfortunately, many times the post will contain just snips of code from here and there, when what we really need is the big picture. That's why we really want the URL.
John
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

Okay I'm guilty :(

I have the license number on the template for all pages.
Remember I used to put it in every file, well I'm always updating, and when I 'm busy I just throw the new one in before I mix them up.

Maybe with the final release, and there's more time on his hands he could automatically put in the license number :D

but then we won't need it ;)

maz
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

maz wrote:I have the license number on the template for all pages.
You have only one _src file for your site, correct (there's no reason to have more)? So it's not a problem. One file - one place to put the license number.
John
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on license issue. I realize that someday the changing of the RC each day will not happen. But, there will always be new versions, etc.

Why not have the license number embedded in the your "data" file, since this is the most constant file? Could have a Menu Properties item named "License". This would make it easier for the user, but not easier for the support staff, since the Version and RC number is contained in the "milonic_src.js" file, which is what the support staff is most interested in having.

Just a thought.