IE 5.0 - 5.2 on Mac problem with external js file

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
somorgujo
Beginner
Beginner

IE 5.0 - 5.2 on Mac problem with external js file

Post by somorgujo »

Hi Folks !

Here a problem I encounter migrating to version 5:

I had a beautyfully working menu on his version 3 on PC and IE 5 onwards, but my client requested me recently to support more browsers specially on the mac area.
So I though it would be a great idea to upgrade to version 5 since it seems to consume a lot less CPU on Netscape 6.2 on PC, just to make happy everyone ;)
But when doing that and testing I found a very awkward problem in IE 5.0 running on a mac with OS 9.1 and the same on other machine running OS X and IE 5.2.
I have a top menu that features a rollover functionality for that I use an external javascript file that Andy provided me almost 2 years ago when I first purchased the license for the menu, first I noticed that the menu wasn't appearing on the mentionated browsers so I started debugging the code to finally found what IE Mac doesn't like specially, is the fact that the code for the rollover is on a external file.
I get an error saying "ungültiges Zeichen", sorry I'm in switzerland. It means something like invalid sign, and it would not dissapear until I get the code inline on the same page.
Now the question, is there any possibility to get avoid this?

the URL to see this is:

http://www.comfactory.com/beta/oddities ... rking.html

http://www.comfactory.com/beta/oddities ... roken.html

Thanks
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Don't have a Mac here at work to see the failure, but there a few things to try.

First, try taking all the menu JS call lines (inside your <!-- test new milonic dropdown menu version 5 --> comments) and move them out of the <head> and to the first items after <body>.

Remove all the style1=[ code from the top of your _data file. It's the old version code, and you're not using it, anyway.

Each of your aI statements should have a closing ; . You have...

Code: Select all

aI("text=About Syngenta;showmenu=aboutsyngenta;")
It should be...

Code: Select all

aI("text=About Syngenta;showmenu=aboutsyngenta;");
Note the final added ; at the end of the line.

Also, you're a bit down-level, so try an upgrade.

Maybe somebody else will get a chance to look at it on a Mac before I get home tonight.
John
somorgujo
Beginner
Beginner

solved !! ;-)

Post by somorgujo »

The problem was that the external fiile with the javascript for the rollover function was encoded as UTF-8, thing IE for mac doesn't like at all.
So be aware of UTF encoded files and IE for MAC !!

Regards