Does Menu conflict with Flash loading in IE on XP?

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
imaginus
Beginner
Beginner

Does Menu conflict with Flash loading in IE on XP?

Post by imaginus »

We are trying to use a Menu next to a flash graphic which overlaps the flash graphic when moused over. On IE on XP Pro, the flash graphic won't load. Any ideas??!? It works in other browsers on other platforms -

http://www.eliasgroup.com/2004/home.html
Last edited by imaginus on Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

A url would be helpful just in case it's something else.

Ruth
imaginus
Beginner
Beginner

Post by imaginus »

sorry - I guess the URL does help! here it is:

http://www.eliasgroup.com/2004/home.html
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I have ie 5.5 and win98, all I get is a black box in the center, nothing playing. Is it supposed to be playing something?

Ruth
imaginus
Beginner
Beginner

Post by imaginus »

That black is supposed to be flash - any ideas?
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

When I try (XP and IE6 / Avant) it looks like the two windows containing text at the right hand side are also overlapping the animation.

Normally you can right click on a Flash animation to get certain settings but I'm not getting anything on yours. There isn't a layer that's covering it is there?
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
imaginus
Beginner
Beginner

Post by imaginus »

I would like to be able to overlap the menu on the flash - that can be done right? What is starnge, like you said, is that there appears to be no flash there at all. I'm struggling to figure out the solution!
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

I'm seeing the same overlap as you, Andy (XP Pro/IE6).

Just for fun (!), try moving all 4 of the menu calls to the end of the page, after the Flash call.
John
imaginus
Beginner
Beginner

Post by imaginus »

Sorry folks - I found the problem. Turns out the flash movie was missing a referencing attribute. All appears to be well - thanks for everyone's time!
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

That's OK. Glad you got it solved.
John
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

imaginus wrote:I would like to be able to overlap the menu on the flash - that can be done right? What is starnge, like you said, is that there appears to be no flash there at all. I'm struggling to figure out the solution!
I see you've figured out the param problem in the <object> code and got it loaded in IE. I noticed it earlier but got interrupted before I could reply... sorry. I noticed a couple of othr things that might also be worth checking. You seem to have additioal parameters set that aren't really parameters as far as I know. In your object code, you have

Code: Select all

<param name="attr" value="value">
I suspect that was just a generic "placeholder" to show syntax for setting parameters in an object tag. I'd remove it. In the <embed>, you have

Code: Select all

attr="value"
That is also probably meant only to show syntax for setting attributes in am embed tag. It isn't a real attribute, so I'd remove it also.

Your menu should overlap the flash OK with most modern browsers. You'll have difficulties with older or crappier browsers, like NS4x or Opera, where the menu (or any other dhtml element) will fall behind the flash. Best to test your layout in th browsers that you care about. If the layering becomes a problem, you can either (1) redsign the layout so that menus never oerlap flash or (2) put the flash in a div and hide it when an overlapping menu opens. There are discussions on the board about option 2 (you'll find them by searching the forums for 'flash'). The Milonic code is also able to facilitate the div hiding approach... you can see a sample here.

Hope that helps,

Kevin