Dynamic side menu

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
jeallen
Advanced
Advanced

Dynamic side menu

Post by jeallen »

I have a hierarchically designed web site. Milonic menus work great. I would like to do something that seems simple ;) but isn't one of the listed features.

I would like to have a standard (lets call this level 1) horizontal menu at the top of my screens, (with the submenu pulldowns) work as they do now on rollover.

Then on the side, I would like to have a vertical menu (lets call this a level 2 menu) specific to the sub-section the user is in appear.

So, if a users goes to a page in the 'About Us' section (level 1) section the top menu highlights 'About Us' and the side menu that appears has the 'About Us' header and all the level 2 submenus (always visable). Level 3 (sub-sub meus) would open and appear from this menu on rollover.

In the next level of menus I am not sure what logic would be preferred. If the users goes to a level 3 page, the vertical level 2 menu could highlight teh active section or a level 3 menu could be displayed.

So, sort of dynamic side menu based on the current URL. Going to /about_us/anything.htm would highlight the top menus 'About Us' section and turn on this level 2 menu on the side of the screen.

I am not a programmer so there not much chance I could figure this out on my own, but it would seem most :-) of the logic for this is already in place.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Thanks for the kind words, but this isn't really a beginner's topic, hence the move.
John
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

You can check this topic which has a reply in it from CUBEFREE and a link to a site that does more or less what you want. http://milonic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3814

Ruth
jeallen
Advanced
Advanced

Yep - This is what I want to do

Post by jeallen »

Yes, this is a great example. Since I am poor hack at best (hey that's why I am at Milonic!), what I really need is a switch with in the existing Milonic structure to do this.

Dang his example looks simple too, but I don't think I have the depth to get there without more specifics.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: Yep - This is what I want to do

Post by Ruth »

jeallen wrote:Yes, this is a great example. Since I am poor hack at best (hey that's why I am at Milonic!), what I really need is a switch with in the existing Milonic structure to do this.
A switch within the menu structure really translates to rewriting the program. Here's another link,http://milonic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4210 This is done without using any javascript function. This particular example is not exactly what you want since it doesn't have the submenu at side vertical but this might give you some ideas on doing it without using javascript functions. Other than that, I can only suggest that perhaps someone with javascript knowledge might like to attempt doing something for you. Actually, the first link does use a javascript function to do that.

Ruth