subfolder woes

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
designgirl
Beginner
Beginner

subfolder woes

Post by designgirl »

I have spent the last 3 days reading postings so that I wouldn't have to ask a question that has already been answered. I have tried all the solutions I have read about, but I still have a problem navigating to htm pages in subfolders.

I am using version 5.26. The main website page is http://www.nehs.lane.edu/index2.htm

I was using an older Milonic frames version, but am redesigning the site to the non-frames version.

The structure of the new site looks like this:
index2.htm
1_activities (htm folder)
band.htm
clubs.htm
1_news (htm folder)
1_academics (htm folder)
3_menus (folder)
milonic menus are here
4_menus (folder)
more milonic menus are here (this is explained below)
Etc., you get the idea

The index page is at the root level. The only pages with the Milonic nav bar embedded so far are the index page (which uses menus in the 3_menus folder) and the activities pages which use menus in the 4_menus folder).

You might wonder why I've chosen this route, but after 3 days of reading web postings, I thought it would solve the following problem:

From the index page, I can get to any one of the activities pages, but once I have done that, I can't go to any of the other activities pages. I have solved this problem in the past by make all paths absolute and having only one menudata file, but that means it's tough to move a site, burn it to a CD, etc.

I thought be having the syntac for links to pages be
1_activities/band.htm in one set of files and
../1_activities band.htm in the other set of files
would solve the problem. But ALAS, it is not so. I'm ready to give up. PLEASE help!
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

I'm not sure if I understand because I use a template with the link once.

So from the root the script goes like
/template/menu.js
/template/images/picture.gif

Pages go where ever they are like
/forum/index.html

no matter where you are you should still have the same path from the root just remember to use a slash only from root and don't use quotes in aI( ) menu item paths.

maz
designgirl
Beginner
Beginner

Post by designgirl »

I have completely recreated the mensudata files, figuring that I just must have blown it somewhere. Better to start from scratch than spend any more time fixing. I've got everything working now, but am still using the dual menu system I described in the original posting. I've had so many problems, I'm afraid of changing anything.

To see the site as it stands now, you can go to http://www.nehs.lane.edu/index2.htm
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

You need to make your paths server-relative. In your case, the call would be...

Code: Select all

<script language="Javascript" src="/3_menus/milonic_src.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
Note the addition of the / before 3_menus. The same would be added for the other calls, of course.

With the code the way it was the menu would only function on the index page, because you were telling it to look for 3_menus starting from the page I am on now. As you moved down within your structure the same thought was true - look for 3_menus starting from where I am now. But the relationship is no longer true - 3_menus is now "upstairs".

Server-relative says start at the server root for this site, in your case http://www.nehs.lane.edu/, regardless of where I am in the directory structure. So, the 3_menus directory is the only one you need for the entire site.

BTW, I find it interesting that you can spell 'Baccalaureate', but not 'Collge'. :D
John
designgirl
Beginner
Beginner

Post by designgirl »

Allright, I'll bite the bullet and try the single-menu system one more time. I've recovered enough from my last attempt to give it a go. I'll do it next week and let you all know how it went.

About the collge. Yeah, yeah, you're not the only one who noticed. I'm just a lowly, fast-typing designer. I hope I can get someone else to proofread the darned site for me, but haven't had much luck in the past. Maybe showing them this error will get them to listen. ;)
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

If you run into any problems, just drop by and give us a hollar, we are more than glad to help.

Ruth

PS - Do you really think that the exalted who have editors to assign proof readers for their contributions to academia are going to actually proof read a website, a website? :lol: I could never get them to even proof read their memos :!: I truly wish you luck. :)
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

designgirl wrote:About the collge. Yeah, yeah, you're not the only one who noticed. I'm just a lowly, fast-typing designer. ;)
So am I (but not fast typing!). That's why I had to pick on you. :D
John