Mouse over on Netscape 6.2.3

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
fpw138
Advanced
Advanced

Mouse over on Netscape 6.2.3

Post by fpw138 »

I am using the latest menu version. How can I get rid of the mouseover "purple background color with the black color border square" when mouseover on the horizontal buttons on Netscape 6.2.3?

http://www.santacruzholiday.com/webstuf ... come8.html

Thanks!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Your css stylesheet has a class

Code: Select all

.purple {
	background-color: #CCCCFF;
}
That is what is showing between the time you mouseover and the time it takes for the overimage to load. One solution is to make a class in the nn stylesheet

.menubg { background-color:transparent;}
then put that into the td

<TABLE class=purple cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=648 border=0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD align=middle width=648 height=48 class="menubg">

Ruth
fpw138
Advanced
Advanced

Post by fpw138 »

This is what I did, but the result is the same.

http://www.santacruzholiday.com/webstuf ... come8.html

<TABLE WIDTH="648" BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0">
    <TR>
      <TD width="648" height="48" align="center" class="menubg">

/*Netscape 6.2.3 menu background color*/
.menubg { 
	background-color:transparent;
}
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Although I thought I had cleared my cache, it is possible I didn't get the right one since I have 4 versions of netscape to test things. It seems what's happening is that whatever the background color is that is what is showing during the wait for the overimage to load. There is a menu script for preloading the menu images, though I've never used it and don't know if that will fix the problem.
There might be another option you could try. Your layout seems to be a banner in a table cell and in the cell below that you put the menu. The images for the menu seem to be a completion of what would be a lower part of the banner. If you actually had that lower part as one image, before you made it separate ones for the menu, you could put that image as a background-image for the table cell in which the menu is. Keep the images you have in the menu as is, then when someone did a mouseover, while waiting for the overimage to load they would see the same image as in whichever menu item they did a mouseover but without the text. I hope I explained that clearly. I don't have the blank images on which you put the text, so I can't make an example to show you.

Ruth
fpw138
Advanced
Advanced

Post by fpw138 »

Ruth-

I kind of understand what you mean. However, I used sample 9 and sample 18 version 5.32 menu to come up a test here.

http://www.santacruzholiday.com/webstuf ... 1menu.html

The result on Netscape 6.2.3 has the same output. A white square and the black outline pop up when mouseover on the main menu buttons. I haven't test on Mac yet. It works on IE6 PC, Netscape 4.75 PC and Netscape 4.06 Unix. Another problem on Linux, the menu not working on Linux.

Please advice.
Thank you!!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Yes, it is what that browser seems to do. The problem is the images are not loaded yet on mouseover so the browser fills in with that. You need to take the images from which you made the menu images, the ones without the text on them, and combine them into a 48x648 image and then set it in your css as a class and put it as the background for that cell so when you mouseover the images instead of a white space or whatever color comes up you get what seems to be the menu image without text. I tried the preload and again with that browser it still puts the color up while it's waiting for the image. If you use a background-image in the table cell, then you also need to add a row to the menu table and put in your spacer at height 1 and width 648, otherwise the menu images kind of wrap when you get to the last ones. This shouldn't be too much of a problem since you can create a class in your css code for netscape that loads a background-image for that cell and I assume you have the blank images from which you made the images with the text. Someone else may have another solution but this is the only way I could get it to not show the color when mouseover while it waited for the overimage to load.

Ruth
Last edited by Ruth on Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fpw138
Advanced
Advanced

Post by fpw138 »

Ruth-

Thank you so much! I really appreicate for your help! I learn something here. I will make the background image and create a class in the nn stylesheet and work from there.

Thanks again!!