5.02 to 5.42 upgrade

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Andrew Nielsen
Beginner
Beginner

5.02 to 5.42 upgrade

Post by Andrew Nielsen »

I have my curent page using version 5.02 files perfectly (http://www.neelos.com/index.htm)!

I have another page using version 5.42 (http://www.neelos.com/index_542.htm), and whoops the widths are crazy! I understand from other discussion topics and also from the release history that a lot of work has been done with itemwidth and menuwidth properties, but when I use them as intended it gets better in IE (but not perfect like version 5.02) and only a little better in NS. I have restored the original data script file so as to allow anyone to play for themselves starting from the same data to compare!

It's go me beat so far, I have played with all the properties (mainly menuwidth, itemwidth, and overflow) for about 5 hours now!
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Are you trying to put the menu into the table? I see you have the data file there. If that's the case then you need to check and read the notes on the table sample [#9 I think] because just putting the menu_data file call there doesn't necessarily place it in the table. You have the item width set at 166, try 156 and also put an itemwidth=156 into each aI string of that main menu [as a side note, I don't really know anything about doing the kind of coding you have. I had to kind of make it back to a 'normal' - for me :? - data file. :lol: Hope that helps.

Ruth
Andrew Nielsen
Beginner
Beginner

Good suggestion, but not successful unfortunately!

Post by Andrew Nielsen »

Thanks for the reply Ruth!
yes, the menu does go in a table, and I have it working that way quite well in the original version with 5.02, so I did not suspect that to be the problem. I tried the itemwidth property in the ai statement but no change unfortunately (good suggestion though)!

I think whatever work has been done with the the itemwidth and menuwidth properties in the new versions might have fixed a lot of exceptions (especialy automatic resizing based on available screen real estate), but fails to do something really obvious - set the width of all items as I would like to a fixed value!

Sigh.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Well, I converted your menu_data file to a regular one since I don't really know what the whatever + Path etc is [I'm illiterate as to coding] and then put it in the table per directions and using the itemwidth as you have it but also added to each aI string and it worked fine in Netscape and IE5.5. The menu shouldn't be in a div by the way, and you have the table in a div, also you have the call for the menu in some outside place in the table, not even in a cell. If you put the menu in the table as the directions state, you need to place it in a cell and to get it to center since putting it in a table requires position="relative" the best method is to place a one celled table inside the cell where you want the menu and set the table position align="center" then it centers no matter what happens with the outside table. If you dont' want to do it that way, then I don't really know how to help you. Putting the call as you have it works in IE, it works in some Netscape and some other browsers but it will also cause problems, menu breakup or even have it become non-functioning in other browsers.

Ruth