Version 5.62 Error & Tooltips

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Version 5.62 Error & Tooltips

Post by bobwill »

The following line of code has been working correct until Version 5.62. Getting an error message using IE that states the following

Line: 94
Char: 2
Error: Object expected
Code:0

aI("text=News;url=/news.htm;target=windowname;targetfeatures=width=310 height=350 scrollbars=yes status=yes;oncolor=black;offcolor=white;offbgcolor=red;status=PopUp News;onfunction=showtip('News Updated Dec 4');separatorsize=1;");

My site is loading Version 5.52, which does not give error.

http://www.baseball.legion.org
Last edited by bobwill on Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I think you need to upgrade the tooltips module http://milonic.com/tooltips.js Andy mentioned someplace that it was updated with verison 5.60.

Ruth
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Thanks Ruth... I did update the tooltips.js file and now I get a different error in IE. The error now occurs when you click on the "News" menu item. Before it was when you placed the cursor over the item

Line: 21
Char: 13603
Error: '_1.2' is null not an object
Code: 0

I do not get the error using Opera, but when you click on the "News" menu it does no open up in a new window as defined on the command line.

I will leave the latest Version 5.62 files and tooltips.js on the server for a day so someone can other than myself can see the problem.

http://www.baseball.legion.org

Add ON: I was looking for the latest tooltips.js file and I think the file that is on the Milonic server is version 1.1. The version that was working with Milonic menu version 5.52 was version 1.2.. Maybe I have the wrong files or something. Anyone got an answer??
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Hey stranger...

1.1 is the same version Andy is calling from the main site. Not sure where 1.2 came from.
John
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

I've been around, just had not had a problem until the latest update. Try to keep the latest version posted.

There is a difference in the two versions.

Version of tooltips 1.2 was dated June 20, 2004, that is when I downloaded the file. I did a compare between version 1.1 and 1.2 and the following is the difference. Version 1.1 (near bottom of file ) has a line of code "clearTimeout(_Mtip)" and Version 1.2 has "$CtI(_Mtip); ".

Means nothing to me.

I do not care which version, just want to get rid of Javascript error. do you get the error John??
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

I see the error icon for just a split second at the bottom of the IE window, but it goes right through it and brings up the next page without error, so I have nothing to look at.
John
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Are using using IE. If so you need to turn on the display error messages under Tools/Internet Options/Advanced

It goes away because the popup window gets activated and does away with the "Error" in the status line of the browser.

Also the next page is suppose to come up in its own defined window size, not as a whole page...
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

I pulled your code down to my server and now it's hanging on the JS error. Will work on it as I have time (something about my J.O.B. comes first...).
John
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Thanks John....I understand about J.O.B. and paying bills. Had one for 38 years, now G.O.L.F. is priority.....
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

bobwill wrote:Thanks John....I understand about J.O.B. and paying bills. Had one for 38 years, now G.O.L.F. is priority.....
Oh, thanks a bunch... :roll:

I've got it posted at http://www.west.asu.edu/sa/testsite/. I see the error when hanging over News, but when I click it goes on through and brings up the small window. Status is there, but no tooltip - yet.

Is this what you're seeing on your site?
John
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Using your test site I get an error when I hover over News. If I clear the pop up error message and then click on News I do not get the News pop up. Status bar states that javascript is void.

If clear the pop up error message and then go to another part of the menu and then back to click on News if seems to work...Sometimes...
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Wow. Quite different from what I see here (as described).

XP Pro/IE6 - right?
John
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Not quite.....

98/IE6.0

Since I jumped form Version 5.52 to V 5.62, and no change in tooltip.js I am going to go back and download the versions that I skipped over and see where the error starts to occur.

Will let you know what I find out.
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

The next version after 5.52 was V 5.60. Getting the same error.
I have now loaded version 5.52 back on my server. Works A-OK.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

I think this is going to be an Andy problem. Will let him know.
John
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Thanks for trying....
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

John, just a follow up, to my problem.

You last said that you would let Andy know. How am I to know if problem is being fixed or what? Will you or Andy respond to my issue??
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

My apologies. Sent him a separate email on 7 Dec just in case he missed this thread. I haven't heard from him, either. Not an excuse, but there have been serious main server problems that have taken him away from the menu. He's been setting up a new server from scratch, looking for a new ISP, etc. Tried calling him yesterday (yes, to the UK!), but got no answer. Will try again today.

Just so we're on the same page, tooltips is now at 1.1 and the menu is at 5.63.
John
bobwill
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by bobwill »

Same issue with 5.63 and tooltips 1.1......
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Hi Bob,

Sorry about my lack of appearance, as John says we've got some major server issues that have been taking up a lot of my time recently. We are currently in the process of moving server hosts and it's hell trying to get domain names transfered ensuring that we can have the minimum of downtime.

Anyway, John has just called me and told me that I really need to get on this post so I'm here now and I'll do what I can :)

John's copy of your site http://www.west.asu.edu/sa/testsite/ is using the older tooltips.js file - If that was updated it would probably work OK.

I've just grabbed a copy of your site and tried it with the new 5.63 and it seems to be OK - Obviously using the new tooltips.js file.

Can you try 5.63 - If it still fails, can you please post a copy of your home page to http://www.baseball.legion.org/milonic.htm using the buggy files and I'll then be able to see exactly where the problem is.

Hope this helps
Andy