Submenu misalignment within 'floating' layout

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Radiantcore
Beginner
Beginner

Submenu misalignment within 'floating' layout

Post by Radiantcore »

hey there,

I'm working the bugs out of this before I purchase the menu and currently the major is the submenu. In the title I put floating in quotes because it's not actually floating but positioned to be centred in the middle of the page.

http://www.radiantcore.com/milonic

This is where the page and menu in question is, I've been reading through the forums for a couple of days now trying to see if this issue has come up before and most suggestions you've given do not apply to this context, or it seems to me. I'm willing to be wrong.

This menu did work when I spec'd it out a couple of weeks ago when I first the initial designs (I made sure it worked before I put it into my designs) and now it's time to develop the updated menu script does not work. I've copied in the default out-the-box menu that comes in the download and it acts in the same way.

I've measured the distance from the menu to each of the submenus to see if there is any correlation between the distance and some value I have specified in my css file, but nothing seems to suit.

my html file is here:
http://www.radiantcore.com/milonic/index.html

my css file is here:
http://www.radiantcore.com/milonic/reso ... screen.css

the menu_data.js and all other js files are here:
http://www.radiantcore.com/milonic/resources/js/

thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce

I've removed all reference to the client because this site is still in development.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I believe it's this section:

Code: Select all

#siteFrame {
	MARGIN-LEFT: auto; WIDTH: 760px; MARGIN-RIGHT: auto
}
The auto code for the margins is the cause, I believe.

I know it's in the style sheet because I removed it completely to see if the problem still occurred and without the style sheet the submenus align right up at the border of their calling menu. So I saw that auto and removed that part of the section and there was no longer any space between calling menu and submenu.

Ruth
Radiantcore
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Radiantcore »

Ruth,

thanks for you reply, this however puts me in a bit of quandary, how do I get the fixed width site centred in the page and have this navigation work.

I tried your suggestion and it worked, so following along those lines I created a centreLine div and gave it a margin-left: 50%; and set the siteFrame div to margin-left: -380px; thinking this would solve the problem. It seems, however, this little feature isn't that easily quashed.

It seems to me in a couple of tests that I've done, that any sort of left margin in the div that contains the script breaks the menu. I would very much like to be proven wrong, but if I'm not this menu is of no longer of any use to me, which is a shame because it's a great menu, albeit with one glaring omission. ;)

again, thanks for you help.

bruce
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Leave the style sheet as it was originally. I didn't notice, :oops: , but you have your menu calls in the div. You need to get them out of there. That doesn't make the menu open there. Put the calls for the menu immediately after the body tag. Then in the menu data file put this as your positioning for the menu.

Code: Select all

with(milonic=new menuname("Main Menu")){
alwaysvisible=1;
screenposition="center";
orientation="horizontal";
style=menuStyle;
top=120;
menuwidth=746;
That will put the menu at 120px from the top and centered in the page. It should sit on top of that red background. It works at 800x600 and 1028x768.

However you need to note that the site does not center in IE5.5 at all, though the menu centers using that set up. The site remains at the left, including that red background you have.

Ruth
Radiantcore
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Radiantcore »

Ruth,

that indeed was the fix, software purchased, client happy, me happy.

thank you very much. keep up the great work.

cheers

bruce