IE relative positioning, submenu bug

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
safetybear
Beginner
Beginner

IE relative positioning, submenu bug

Post by safetybear »

I'm working on a vertical menu and having difficulty making it work across most browsers. Right now, it works in Mozilla, but in IE (and Opera) I get a bizarre offset and a lagging effect, where it doesn't react well to mousing-over.

I can imagine that this is a positioning problem...when I remove position="relative"; from the submenus, it operates fine...but I want the main menu to be positioned flexibly on the page. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
David
Last edited by safetybear on Fri May 13, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
safetybear
Beginner
Beginner

Nevermind. I fixed it.

Post by safetybear »

So, the two vertical nav bars were in a DIV, which had a border applied to it. For SOME reason (I don't know why), the 20px height of the border was affecting the submenu position on IE and Opera only. Mozilla and Mac worked great. Took out the border style and it works like a charm. Go figure.

David
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Re: IE relative positioning, submenu bug

Post by kevin3442 »

safetybear wrote:...when I remove position="relative"; from the submenus, it operates fine...
Just a little note:

When you use relative positioning, you only specify position="relative"; in the main menu, not in the submenus. You normally won't need to set position in the submenus; they will take their position automatically from the position of the parent menu item.

Cheers,

Kevin