Scroll-following menu not working on IE 6.0

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
esordini
Advanced
Advanced

Scroll-following menu not working on IE 6.0

Post by esordini »

Hi all,
I'm using the scroll-following version of the Milonic Menu (latest version). For some reason, it works fine on Mozilla Firefox but not on IE (rel. 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.021108-1929 under Windows), at least on my PC, where submenu items are not displayed on some pages.

Here's the actual example:

http://62.149.225.27/bloomingstars/jsp/home.jsp

http://62.149.225.27/vega/gallery/Deeps ... m13_1.html

What could possibly be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Emmanuele
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Just for information for anyone checking this, it does work in IE5.5, though I get a line 3, character 1, syntax error on the page load, as soon as you click OK the page works fine, just with the little message error on the page. And, notoriously, of course that IE error message may not actual reference whatever the error actually is....

Ruth
esordini
Advanced
Advanced

Post by esordini »

Just for information for anyone checking this, it does work in IE5.5, though I get a line 3, character 1, syntax error on the page load, as soon as you click OK the page works fine, just with the little message error on the page. And, notoriously, of course that IE error message may not actual reference whatever the error actually is....
IE 6.0 also complains about the same error at the very same location. However, since IE6.0 is still the most popular browser out there, this would prevent all its users from correctly navigating my website. I'm no expert in dynamic menus, but I guess that I'll have to quit using Milonic if I don't fix this. :cry:

By the way, not even your homepage works correctly...

Do you have any clue?

Emmanuele
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I'm not sure what you mean by my homepage not working correctly, I don't have a menu on my home page. As to the error it is being generated by this file

Code: Select all

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="bloomingstars.js"></SCRIPT>
I removed all the menu files from your page and tested it and still got the error.

I don't do js so I can't really 'track' things as far as what exactly the error is, but since the error was still thrown after the menu was no longer in play, I tried removing js files. The first one I removed was that bloomingstars.js and the error stopped.

Ruth
esordini
Advanced
Advanced

Post by esordini »

I'm not sure what you mean by my homepage not working correctly, I don't have a menu on my home page
I mean that Milonic's homepage (http://milonic.com) has a menu on top with a lot of cascading menu items. On my PC, the latter do not show up on IE while they do in Firefox; therefore, I end up not being able to navigate Milonic's website.
I don't do js
Me neither :(
While I am a SW developer by trade, I'm not much into client-side stuff.
so I can't really 'track' things as far as what exactly the error is, but since the error was still thrown after the menu was no longer in play, I tried removing js files. The first one I removed was that bloomingstars.js and the error stopped.
The js file you mentioned contains only a very simple function; I don't think it's much of an issue. However, I will try that out and let you know what happens.

Later,
Emmanuele
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I don't know about what information it contains, but it is what is causing the js error on my browser. And on your site all I get is an x where the image for that is supposed to be.

As to the milonic home page, if you are not seeing the submenus then I think it must be something in your browser. I will report that you can't use it, IE6 and windows. Can you tell me which windows? The milonic development uses IE 6 so they would know if the menu was unusable. Do you have something set in the browser to block any kind of content?

Ruth
esordini
Advanced
Advanced

Post by esordini »

I don't know about what information it contains, but it is what is causing the js error on my browser. And on your site all I get is an x where the image for that is supposed to be.
Me too. But as far as I know there's nothing special; a few weeks ago, everything was working :(
As to the milonic home page, if you are not seeing the submenus then I think it must be something in your browser. I will report that you can't use it, IE6 and windows. Can you tell me which windows?
Windows XP Professional Edition, Italian version. As for IE6, the subversion numbers are in my first post that originated this thread.
Do you have something set in the browser to block any kind of content?
Well, it comes to mind I have ZoneAlarm. I will try disabling it and let you know.

Thanks
Emmanuele
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

I'm having no problems viewing your site (except for that same JS error, which only comes up on the initial load of the page). Every page I went to drops your subs just fine, as well as on the Milonic home page.

XP Pro, IE 6.0.2900.2180.epsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519.
John
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

Hi esordini,

All subs work fine for me too, on both your site and milonic.com, using IE6 on WinXP (won't bother with all of the other 6.0.xxxxx)

Did you get anywhere when you disabled ZoneAlarm?

Kevin