Access db driven menu with permissions

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
BigJohnson
Advanced
Advanced

Post by BigJohnson »

Hi all
I'm looking to get quite fancy with the menu but I'm not sure how to go around it or even if it will work.

Using Access as a db backend for an ASP website. At the moment we have 2 user types (admin & user) and three organisation types (developer, client & subby).

What i'd like to do is maintain the menu within the db and assigning access to certain users & organisations.

Eg
Developer - Admin-page1.asp - Home
Client - Admin - page1a.asp - Home
Subby - Admin - page1b.asp - Home

Hope that makes sense?
Assistance greatly appreciated.
dstarr@lumbermens.com
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dstarr@lumbermens.com »

What you are looking to do can be done.

I am currently doing pretty much the same thing using SQL and ASP. What I did was actually create two separate tables (one with all of the Menu Array information and one with each of the individual menu items).

In you case, I would suggest that you create a separate Array (or arrays) for each of the permission scenarios that you descrilbe. Then, as your code validates each user type you can "build" the appropriate menu on the fly using the appropriate set of Arrays.

If you are using the newer version, what you'll need to do is substitute an ASP page for the menu_data.js page. Connect to your Access db, validate your user, then use the ASP code to "write" out your javascript arrays and menu items.

Make sense?