Changes to menu_data.js are not updating for some computers

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
gloumeau
Beginner
Beginner

Changes to menu_data.js are not updating for some computers

Post by gloumeau »

Howdy,

I got the horizontal DHTML drop-down menus working on http://www.itp.edu and then I made some changes to the formatting in the menu_data.js file. Specifically, I added a number of " " items to make the sub-drop down menus wider in some places (the sub-menus should all be about the same width now, on the old file some were less wide than others). On my Mac and PC at home I can see the changes on the web site, but others who have been looking at the old web site on their computer can't see the new changes. I've had them clear out their caches and reset their browsers, but no dice. Is there something they have to do to clear out a javascript cache in their browser so they can see the updated menus?

Thanks.

Greg
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Greg,

I don't think you can use the <!-- in the menu_data.js file. I think you use // in place of that.

As to anything else to clear, not as far as I know. I'm curious why you didn't just set an itemwidth in the submenus, instead of using the non-breaking line spaces?

Code: Select all

with(milonic=new menuname("Alumni")){
style=alumniStyle;
itemwidth=100;
or whatever width you want. The default is pixels, so 100 would be 100px.

Also, I'm not sure why you have the contact menu coded with alwaysvisible=0, that's default, so if you don't have alwaysvisible=1; it won't be visible. Top and left positions have no effect when set like that in a submenu. The part of the code that has to do with subemnus, excluding the 1st level of a horizontal main menu, is

Code: Select all

_subOffsetTop=2;
_subOffsetLeft=-2;
which is at the top of the menu_data.js file

Hope that gives you some help
gloumeau
Beginner
Beginner

They are still not seeing the changes

Post by gloumeau »

Hi,

Your message was very helpful. I went in and set the submenus to a set pixel width. Once again, it looks right on my PC and Mac, but when the client looks at it, after clearing the cache on his Safari browser and reloading the page, he still doesn't see the submenus at the right size (he also checks it on IE for the Mac - version 5 I believe).

Is there something we need to do to clear out the old javascript in his browser? How can I get him to see the latest changes?

Thanks,

Greg
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I don't know what you mean by clearing old javascript. As far as I know, if you call a menu, you see it, if you change the menu, and then clear your cache you should see the new menu. It's not like the old 'script' part is left someplace on the computer. As far as I know it goes to cache.

What version browser. Is there someplace we can see this page? You say client, is this up as some development area or something where he might be getting some old page that's up there. Like going there with a link and ending up at the old page? I just don't know. So, if there's a place we can go and see it, that would help.

Ruth