Submenu within a Submenu

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
ARSNOnline
Beginner
Beginner

Submenu within a Submenu

Post by ARSNOnline »

Call me stupid, call me blind, I don't care. lol. But I honestly can't find a tutorial or even a mention of this anywhere.

I manage this site http://www.arsnonline.com and my 'Football' submenu is getting rather lengthy so I need to add a nested menu/submenu/whatever it's called within in. Actually I think I need to add two.

It's a menu within a table so my code can be found in the cource code.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it's extremely simple but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

If you're asking to put a submenu 'inside' another submenu, no that's not possible...as far as I know. I've never seen anything like that. However, there are some things you can do if it's two long.

1. you can set overflow="scroll";

Code: Select all

with(milonic=new menuname("Fball")){
style=menuStyle;
overflow="scroll";
This allows you to put as many items in that menu as you want, it will create a scroll bar when the items get longer than the page height area.

2. you can create main item areas in that submenu and create submenus to open from them. For example, you could put the items below in your menu, remove the related items and place them in their own menu. So you'd remove the items that had headlines as part of their title, and those that had 2005 in their title. Put the following two lines in place and then create two submenus, shown below the first code.

with(milonic=new menuname("Fball")){
style=menuStyle;
aI("text=Headlines;showmenu=headlines;");
aI("text=2005;showmenu=2005;");

with(milonic=new menuname("headlines")){
style=menuStyle;
aI("text=Hog Headlines;url=modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index&catid=&topic=8;");
aI("text=SEC Headlines;url=modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index&catid=&topic=15;");
}

with(milonic=new menuname("2005")){
style=menuStyle;
aI("text=2005 Schedule;url=modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=153;");
aI("text=2005 Roster;url=modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=161;");
aI("text=2005 Statistics;url=modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=169;");
aI("text=2005 Depth Chart;url=modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1244;");

}

Just for information, once you know how to create one submenu, you can create as many levels as you want, it's the showmenu=subname; that governs the submenu being opened. So, you could have an item that opens an item that has a submenu, that opens an item that has a submenu that and so on ad infinitum....

Hope that helps.

Ruth
dferracci
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dferracci »

Ruth,

I'm having trouble implementing your instructions. The menu data file is here:

http://www.nyccfb.info/includes/scrollm ... data_vg.js

...my site is here:

http://nyccfb.info/debates_vg/voter_gui ... intro.aspx

...and the menu item in question is 2nd from the right, Ball Proposals.

I tried attaching the menu Nys to the 2nd submenu item, nys ballot proposals without luck. Can you see what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

You have to update your menu. You're at 5.723 and there have been a lot of things fixed since then. New version is 5.730. Also, you need to put in the subOffsetTop= and subOffsetLeft= back at the top of the menu_data.js file.

_menuCloseDelay=500;
_menuOpenDelay=150;
_subOffsetTop=5;
_subOffsetLeft=-5;
It wants that or it's giving an error.

Ruth
dferracci
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dferracci »

Thanks! Works now.