Tree/collapsable menu expansion issue

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
aliasim99
Advanced
Advanced

Tree/collapsable menu expansion issue

Post by aliasim99 »

Hello there,

I'm using the collapsable menu and I have a simmilar issue that is disscused on this page

http://milonic.com/mfa/2005-April/005804.html

I was wondering if there is any better solution to ths problem. I need to keep my sub menu expanded when that submenu tabs are clicked. in that solution you said we can add a 1px image and ave the same URL as the parent menu. But I have no landing page for my menu. Do you se what I mean. If I click my main menu it expands the submenu and does not take me to any page. but ehn I click the sub menu tabs I will see pages, but I still need to maintain the expanded submenu.

any other solution to that yet ? Please let me know.. its urgent.

I downloaded the collapseable menu from here
http://milonic.com/treemenu/

thanks
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

We need a link to your page to be able to work on a solution.

Ruth
aliasim99
Advanced
Advanced

Link to page

Post by aliasim99 »

Hello Ruth,

Here is the link to the site.

http://66.241.221.133/newsite/index.cfm

Only "Services" has a sub menu. Then click on "Thai Thermal Bed therapies" You will notice that the menu closes and I want it to stay opened, so that user can click on other services tabs of sub menu.

I have no page for "Services" , clicking on Services only opens the sub menu for further seelection.

I have a couple of additional question.

1) Is this menu available in the samples that you have on the site ? If not do you vae a similar menu that I can download?

2) I already have a license, how can I use it to buy this menu ? I dont see it in samples. I told you where I downloaded it from.

Please reply ASAP. thanks
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

1. If you have a valid license you only need to be logged in on the main site under the name used when you first got your licensed version.

2. As long as your license is valid, you can download any or all samples you want.

3. Could you tell me which sample you want to use and I'll get you some info on how to do it as a treemenu.

Right now the version you have on your site is unlicensed which is why you are getting the Milonic Link. If you let me know a page where you have your licensed menu I can give you more information on that issue.

You should make sure you have the newest treemenu.js modulemodule page

I'll work on the original issue and get back to you when I figure it out. :)

Ruth
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

OK, I got the page and I think I might not be understanding what you want.

Download the newest menu version, the newest treemenu.js module and the newest openmenusbyurl.js module from the bolt-on pages.

On all the pages where you want the submenus to be open when you reach them place this as you calls for the menu files

Code: Select all

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="milonic_src.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
if(ns4)_d.write("<scr"+"ipt language=JavaScript src=mmenuns4.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");		
  else _d.write("<scr"+"ipt language=JavaScript src=mmenudom.js><\/scr"+"ipt>"); 
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="collapse_data.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="treemenu.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
<script type="text/javascript" src="openmenusbyurl.js"></script>
You would of course use your own paths to the files.

Once that is on there, when you click on the first item in the Services submenu and go to the page that submenu will be expanded.

Ruth
aliasim99
Advanced
Advanced

You are wonderful

Post by aliasim99 »

Hello Ruth,

you are simply wonderful. I followed your directions, and downloaded new

1) treemenu.js
2) openmenusbyurl.js
3) sample 2 with ver 5.735

then replaced all the file other than collapse_data.js

and now it works they way I wanted it too.

thanks for your help. The one thing that I was missing was openmenusbyurl.js

Just one more thing. Now if you go the website. open the submenu of services then click on any submenu tab it will open the page and keep the menu expanded.

I also want the coresponding subemenu tab to show the yellow color to indicate that this page is open. Do you see what I mean. In simple wods keeping the menu highlighted.

i'm pretty sure it's jut a style or menu property but cant seem to find it. clickcolor keeps the color just for the moment that it is clicked. I want to retain the color

Thanks again.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Add this to your tstyle1 menu style

Code: Select all

pagecolor="#D5BA31";
When you click on a page in any submenu, when it gets to the page the color will be the gold color. Unfortunately it will not highlight the text of the main parent item that opened the submenu, however, I did find one thing you can do so that you let people know the 'main' area of the submenu

In the tstyle1 style area you can put pageimage="check.gif"; then in every sub style copyOf definition you'd put pageimage="";

Then you need a little transparent image that is a check mark. I have one if you want and can make it in any color you want. What happens when you click Services it opens the submenu, then when you click a page, when you get to the new page the submenu item has gold text and there is a little white check mark to the left of the word Services. That would happen on all the parent items that opened a submenu. If you didn't put in the pageimage=""; in the submenu style definitions there would be check mark next to the main parent item and the sub item that is clicked. But, I think it looks better to have the main with the check, or a star, or right pointing arrow, or dot or whatever and the sub item only having the color change.

Ruth

Ruth
aliasim99
Advanced
Advanced

All done

Post by aliasim99 »

Thanks alot,

pagecolor has done the trick. Menu now works exactly the way I wanted it to.

I see what you mean with having an image to show that there is a submenu with this menu Item. That is how it should be... but I wish the clients were as smart as you are. The client likes it this way and that's what she will get 8O

Thanks for your help .. I had a deadline to meet and you helped me alot to get it done.
aliasim99
Advanced
Advanced

Another problem

Post by aliasim99 »

Hello Ruth,
Another urgent problem, first of all we have a different homepage now so just click on any of the links on any of the top links and it will take you the the inside site. Now follow these steps.

1) click on "services", it will open up the submenu
2) now click on any of the Main menu items, e.g. "About Us"
3)Notice that clicking on About us only "Closes" the submenu and does not take me to the about us page. You have to clik again to get to the page.

A user will feel it's a broken link. they need to click it twice to get to that page. Do you have a solution for that? That clicking on the main menu not only closes the submenu but also takes you to the correct page.

please reply soon.
Thanks
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

It's the singleMaster=true that causes that problem. Unfortunately if you set it to false, then it allows more than one submenu to be open at one time.

With singlemaster set to true it forces the menu to read the click and close the open submenu and open the new one, but that also means that when you click a link in the main menu without a submenu it has to first close the submenu, then you have to click it again to go.

Since you only have one submenu and links will take you to another page, I suggest you change it to singleMasterMenu=false;

Ruth
aliasim99
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aliasim99 »

Hello ruth,

singleMasterMenu=false;

this thing did work. Now the only problem left is positioning of the sub menu. on some browsers submenu sticks to the top left corner. And if you shrink the the browser windw submenu acts funny .. it moves out of its place. I tried relative positioning for submenu but it made it even worse. Then it takes the sub menu below my main menu when opened. Is there some positioning settings that I'm missig ? I'm sure you know how to download my collapse_data.js file it's in 'JS" folder. Please take a look at it and tell me if I commented out something that I was not supposed to or if I need some additional attributes.

NOTE: Site is now live so the just use the IP , no more "Newsite" folder. I'm posting some code here anyways, do take a look at my js file please. Thanks

_scrollAmount=5 // Used for Netscape 4 scrolling
_scrollDelay=10 // Used for Netscape 4 scrolling

_menuCloseDelay=500 // The delay for menus to remain visible on mouse off
_menuOpenDelay=150 // The delay for opening menus on mouse over
//_subOffsetTop=0; // Sub menu offset Top position
//_subOffsetLeft=0; // Sub menu offset Left position

retainClickValue = true; //will keep the menu open when clicked

////////// This is main menu attributes
with(new menuname("main Tree Menu")){
style = tstyle1;
alwaysvisible = 1;
itemwidth=217
//margin=AllMargin
position="relative"

//////////////////// This is submenu
with(new menuname("SubServices")){
style = sub1Style;

-----------------------------------------------------xxxx-----------
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I cannot get the behaviour to repeat on my desktop, and once I go to your site, go to service where I do see the behavior, if I go back to the main page and click services again the menu is correct.

Try putting the call for all the menu files except the data file the first thing after the body tag leaving the call for the collapse_data.js in the table cell.

I'll keep working on it.

Ruth
aliasim99
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aliasim99 »

OK, now I am calling all files after the body tag and only collapse_data.js in the table cell. No Change.

Still some users are experincing the same thing. One user for whom it acts funny is usin IE6 with SP1 and with Windows XP with SP2 installed. REsizing browser window mover the submenu and sometime the sub menu sticks to the top left corner. I have IE6 with SP1 and XP with SP1 and it works just fine for me. Not sure if XP SP2 is making any difference.

Another Question : Is there any other dhtml menu that works exactly the same and is out there for quite some time with proven results ? May be some other menu that you have in you menu samples that will do the job for me. I know this tree menu is a beta version. Let me know if something as such is available to download(buy). Thanks for you help again.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Just so you know....the treemenu is not a beta version, it is in final release and just gets updates as different functionalities are added. Milonic just hasn't updated the text on that page.

I just cleared my cache totally and went to the site using IE5.5 '98se, FF1.0.2, Netscape7.1, and Opera7.54 and the menu is in the correct place on all of them. I checked every link and the menu is correct on each page.

Perhaps the person's cache was using the old page?

Can you let me know and I'll post to Milonic if the issue isn't cleared on that. Unfortunately, I can't trouble shoot that, nor do I know the ins and outs to be able to suggest anything, unless it has something to do with security settings and pop ups or something.

Ruth
aliasim99
Advanced
Advanced

Some screen shots

Post by aliasim99 »

Hi Ruth

The issue that we are experiencing is with IE6 not 5.5 most users that visit our sites are using IE6. Just to confirm the behaviour I have taken two screen shots.

The first is located here http://novospa.ca/menuissue/initialview.gif
This shows the menu as it loads initially, and it shows correctly. Then if the user resizes the window the menu moves with it as well. Here is a screen shot of me moving the left side of my browser to the right.
http://novospa.ca/menuissue/resized.gif as you can see the menu moves as the side of the browser moves.

This looks like an absolute position or a positioning relative to the browser window. How do we get the menu to align itself to the table cell?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

Just to let you know I'm working on it. It may be tomorrow afternoon before I have an answer.

Ruth
aliasim99
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aliasim99 »

Hi Ruth,
I'm still waiting for a response from you. We still have that problem of menu moving around when we resize the page on some computers. Are you going to have a solution for this anytime soon ? Please let me know.
Thanks.
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I am so sorry. I thought I posted back.

I reported the issue and I thought I posted back asking you to try the new version, which is now at 5.738. I can't test it because I don't have IE6.

Again, I apologize for not posting sooner.

Ruth
Migru
Milonic Guru
Milonic Guru

menu

Post by Migru »

Hi

is there a url to see what it is ?
The url given above / before is no longer active it seems.

Michael
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Michael,

It's http://66.241.221.133/

On that page, click on the services link. You will get a page which has a menu at the left and the services submenu is open.

I''m unable to reproduce the problem but I remember, if you're at say 1024x768 go to that page and then pull the browser smaller from the left side, the submenu seems to go out of position while the rest of the menu moves correctly with the table. I don't know if the newer version fixed that.

Thanks so much for checking it out :) The site has version 5.735 still.

Ruth