New windows being spawned intermittently and for no reason

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
clmensch
Beginner
Beginner

New windows being spawned intermittently and for no reason

Post by clmensch »

We are running DHTML Menu Version 5.738, which we upgraded recently from 5.0 RC9 in order to improve Firefox compatibility. The 5.0 RC9 version has been working very well on a production system for over a year, but as soon as we paid to update to 5.738 and installed the new JS files, we've noticed odd behavior. Seemingly randomly, our menu items are spawning new windows rather than replacing the current one...as if every menu item has a "target=_blank" specified. Inspecting the source, however, shows that no such target attributes exist. We ARE using "target=_blank" on a couple of items, but certainly not on ALL items.

We first upgraded to version 5.737, and the bug was occurring with EVERY link (as well as the "status=" attribute being completely broken), but I quickly found that that release was updated to 5.738 (presumably to fix this bug) in the day or so between our paying for the upgrade and installing the js files. Once we replaced the 5.737 js files with 5.738, the behavior diminished. However, as I said, it is still happening intermittently, and we can not seem to get it to happen on demand. The issue occurs in both IE6 and Firefox 1.x.

Unfortunately, I am not sure how to proceeed as I can not give you a link to the site. The DHTML Menu upgrade is part of a site-wide update that is still in development and only exists on an internally accessible development server. (The current production server is still running Version 5.0 RC9, which continues to work as expected.) However I would be happy to reproduce the source if that would help. Please let me know what I can do, as we can not release the site in its current unpredictable condition.
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

I think that you may be suffering from a bug, which was fixed in v5.739.

See http://milonic.com/menuvinfo.php (first item in the description for 5.739). Sounds like it to me. Try updating to v5.739. I bet you a beer that fixes it.

Cheers,

Kevin
clmensch
Beginner
Beginner

Nice

Post by clmensch »

I didn't even bother to check if there had been an update. I'll try it tomorrow and report back. Thanks!
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Re: Nice

Post by kevin3442 »

clmensch wrote:I didn't even bother to check if there had been an update. I'll try it tomorrow and report back. Thanks!
This topic contains notifications of new releases being posted. If you visit that topic and click the "watch this topic for replies" link, you should receive an email message when a new release notification is posted there. Then you can visit this page to check out the details (that link is also in the new release topic, a few posts from the last). Makes it easier to keep up with updates.

Cheers,

Kevin