Menu Requirements

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
r3tr0x
Advanced
Advanced

Menu Requirements

Post by r3tr0x »

Hey guys

Apologies if this post is in the wrong section, if so please feel free to move it.

I have been battling with a number of code snippets (both CSS and JS) for sometime now but still haven't managed to get a menu system working that I'm completely happy with. I have been working on the following website:

http://www.convey365.com

As you can see, the main links are image rollovers, which generate a CSS based horizontal menu underneath. Now, the way in which the site has been designed means that all pages are simply 'passed' into a small php code snippet which inserts the page content into my index.php - hence my header, navigation and footer (which are declared in index.php) are all reloaded each time a new page is visited. This is where my problems lie. The menu system currently in use doesn't retain any states when navigating from one page to another. Therefore I need a menu system that will be as customisable as the one I'm currently using plus be able to cater for the following two extras:

- Submenus are displayed onClick as opposed to onMouseOver. When the mouse cursor is in a submenu (without clicking) the main link rollover image needs to retain its state so the user knows which submenu they are currently looking at.

- When a new page is loaded, the rollover image on the main link needs to keep its state AND the submenu link that the user visited needs to be easily visible (i.e. bolded text). These two features mean that the user knows what section they are in, and also which subpage they are currently on (I believe this is possible with the bolt-on script that loads a specified menu depending on what page the user is on?

I'm hoping a Milonic staff menu can point me in the right direction (which menu to use etc) so I can purchase one immediately, I'm on quite a tight deadline.

Sorry for the long post, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Milonic menu systems so thought I'd post my query. I think the above requirements are beyond my basic JS /CSS knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Mark,

Just to clarify things for you, there is only one menu. When you purchase it you are entitled to any, all, any combination of the samples provided, or you can use the download and create your own design. All of the rollover things you mentioned are part of the menu programming which you put in or leave out depending on whether or not you want to use that particular capability. For example, setting pagebgcolor, or pagebgimage will set the menu to show the path, letting the user know where he is on the menu. There is a visitedcolor property which will show users where they have been, what they've already visited if you include that in your coding.

Below my name are a set of links, the one for style properties gives you a page with an alphabetical list of the properties and little description of what they do. There is also a beginners forum link, that forum is a read only and it has 3 sections on styling the menu, these are really really basic, a very quick read and just gives a quick basic on the menu which might help.

The only thing I am not sure about is the css generated submenu. The menu will generate the submenu you create in the menu_data.js file. This is a highly configurable menu system, and very easy to use and design. All you really have to know how to do is type.

Ruth
r3tr0x
Advanced
Advanced

Post by r3tr0x »

Hi Ruth,

Many thanks for your reply.

I've checked the links you posted. Those pages do look very straight forward as far as customising the menu goes.

Just one more thing, I assume cross browser compatibility isn't an issue (providing they have JS enabled) ?

Thanks again

Mark
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Mark,

Take a look at the Product Info page which has a list of compatibilities. These are the major browsers, it is probably compatible with other ones, also. And, yes they need to have js enabled. This site uses no script tags to create navigation links for browsers who dont' have js enabled. You can take a look at the main page to see how it's done.

Also, there are a some demos, one about borders, one about css and a group of them about some functions that have been written in the forum for different needs, these are not part of the menu system, per se, but have been created to help users who want a particular thing. Perhaps something there might be of use.

http://support.milonic.com/demos/

http://support.milonic.com/beginners/borders.htm

http://support.milonic.com/beginners/css_styling/

Ruth
r3tr0x
Advanced
Advanced

Post by r3tr0x »

Hi Ruth,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have since downloaded the sample menu so I could have a play with it. All in all its going very well, although I've posted a query regarding the openmenusbyurl.js script in the Help and Support form (more to come lol).

I think I'll be purchasing the menu very soon :D

Kind Regards

Mark
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

:oops: Forgot the product info link

http://milonic.com/productinfo.php

Ruth