how to optimize the menu size

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
grace422
Advanced
Advanced

how to optimize the menu size

Post by grace422 »

I ran my site http://home.comcast.net/~w.a.cotton/USF ... ummary.htm

through a web site speed analyzer. I get good results on everything except the script. Here is the warning:

SCRIPT_SIZE - Warning! The total size of external your scripts is 12848 bytes, which is over 8K. Consider optimizing your scripts for size, combining them, and using compression where appropriate for any scripts placed in the HEAD of your documents.

I am only using the milonic script. Is this the cause of the problem? If so, what can I do to fix it?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

I'm not sure there is a 'problem' per se. The total bytes of the scripts is not much more than your images, the download time at 56 k dialup is 6 secs, even at 33k it's less than 10 secs and even at 28k it's only 11 and 1/2 secs. That time is for the whole page to be downloaded, not those scripts.

There's no way that I know to 'combine' your menu_data file into the milonic file.

Ruth
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

Have you compressed your menu_data.js file through the Javascript compactor?

http://milonic.com/jscompactor.php
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by vikenk »

I believe the Milonic Menu source files are already compressed. I think that's what accounts for the code being on one long line.

I tried running my source files through the compressor, but didn;t gain anything.

Viken K.