code for linking PDF file to a web page

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
JimReeves@KennedyJenks.co
Beginner
Beginner

code for linking PDF file to a web page

Post by JimReeves@KennedyJenks.co »

Is there a way to link a PDF file to an html page and still display the Milonic menu? The only way I know of doing this is by using frames.

Currently, to avoid using frames, I link the PDF file to a new window using " _blank". In the new window, just the PDF file is displayed - no Milonic menu.

What I would like to do is open the PDF file on a web page so that the Milonic menu is retained. So far, the only way I know to do this is by using frames. But I would like to avoid using frames, if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

As far as I know that is not possible. When you open the pdf file it becomes the webpage, so I guess if you could figure out some way to make the menu part of the .pdf document. It might be possible to use a hidden iframe or a div or something like that which expands when it's filled and have the pdf file open in it. I don't do much with divs, iframes and especially hidden ones which open and position in particular places so I'm not sure how you'd do that. Never having done that, I don't know if it would work and have the iframe or div only open in part of the page.

Ruth
Migru
Milonic Guru
Milonic Guru

Post by Migru »

Hi

even opening a PDF in an iframe is not supported by all browsers, in this case, they open a new page for the PDF..... tested that.

Michael
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting that info, it gives everyone a much more complete picture. I guess if they really wanted the menu on the 'pdf' they'd have to somehow include it in that file. I have no idea if that is even possible.

Ruth
Migru
Milonic Guru
Milonic Guru

Post by Migru »

Hi

don´t think its possible, as PDF has a certain standard (Adobe), so the READER which is free and of course some tools and browser - add-ons which are more or less free too, but which are basicaly READER-like, are able to open the PDF. There is also an option to produce secured PDFs etc. (I´m using the Adobe-Acrobat). And I don´t think there is any possibility to include into a PDF a script like this menu.
(Using Acrobat you can produce an internal navigation within the PDF - or even edit the PDF (limited), but as I said, this meets requirements to read it using the READER).

Michael
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

PDF is pretty much static (except if you set up a forms page). Even animated gifs just sit there.
John