Question for JOHN - Followscroll with menu in table.

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Question for JOHN - Followscroll with menu in table.

Post by vikenk »

Hi John,

I was hoping you wold share your secret on how you were able to bend the rules and get the menu to FollowScroll while positioned relative in a table.

I'm having a real hard time positioning the menu the way I want in a site that I'm redesigning and all of my problems would go away if I could use relative positioning and FollowScroll together. In the past, you've pointed to your ASU website as an example, but I have not been able to figure it out by looking at your code.

What do you say? Will this magician give up his secret?
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Hi Viken -

Not really sure how to answer this. I pointed to the site because that's where all the code is. There's nothing hidden anywhere else.

Also, you've really got me confused when you mention 'relative'. The menu is positioned absolute. The td is just there as a 'placeholder' for it - like an elevator shaft.
John
vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by vikenk »

Hi John,

Sorry it took so long to reply.
John wrote:Also, you've really got me confused when you mention 'relative'. The menu is positioned absolute. The td is just there as a 'placeholder' for it - like an elevator shaft.
OK, I see. That makes sense now. The menu is still placed absolutely even though the main menu items are placed in the table. The menu itsself, then, is not contained within the boundaries of the table. That's why followscroll works.

In theory, with the way you have it configured, you woudn't even need to the table for it to work.

Thanks John.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

vikenk wrote:In theory, with the way you have it configured, you woudn't even need to the table for it to work.
Hi,

True, but having the td there allows me to add some other non-menu elements to various pages when needed. The basics of that series of pages is sort of a template, although not used as a 'true' template.

There - now that should confuse you further... :!: :roll:
John