Wierd Menu behavior in Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Wierd Menu behavior in Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2

Post by vikenk »

Hello everyone,

Have other people been experiencing strange behavior with the menu in IE7 Beta 2? I'm not too worried since, after all, it still a beta release and Andy is probably working on it.

I'm just noticing strange behavior. The wierdest thing is that the menu seems to collapse when I hover over a menu item that has a submenu.

I have the menu partially styled with CSS, but removing the CSS had no impact. I've also beed editing the menu-data.js file quite a bit and can't find the culprit as of yet.

The menu is set to span 99% of the page width. When I hover over a menu item with a submenu, it collapses down to it's minimum size. It does not happen when hovering over a menu item that has no submenu.

Anyone else discover any other odd behavior with IE7 Beta?
Migru
Milonic Guru
Milonic Guru

Post by Migru »

Hi Viken,

my suggestion:
With any new software release, I´m always waiting for the release XX.01 before installing it !!! Up to then, the most serious bugs are eliminated.....

Michael
vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by vikenk »

Hi Michael,
With any new software release, I´m always waiting for the release XX.01 before installing it !!! Up to then, the most serious bugs are eliminated.....
You are, of course, correct.

However, as a web-designer, you really need to run IE7 and check to see how your site will react to it. IE-7 is much more CSS compliant than IE-6. Many of the tricks and hacks that have been used to make IE-6 work will no longer work with IE-7 and may make your site act/look different. Someday someone will do a Windows Update, end up with IE-7 and then the next time he goes to a site, it may look different. I have to be ready for that.

I've noticed a few differences with IE-7 in my sites and have had to change some coding to fix things.

Still though, right now it's still a Beta release. The Menu might act funny, but I'm sure Andy has IE-7 Beta loaded on a machine and is testing his menu in it to make sure it works right.
Migru
Milonic Guru
Milonic Guru

Post by Migru »

Thank you Viken,

but I´m not in a hurry. IE7 will come and the Milonic 5-xxx or 6.xxx will come too, and if there are a couple of days, where the menu(s) will have to be corrected or looked after - and some pages have to be updated - well, will do it - then.

Hope you are well

Michael
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

If youve got a URL that will help as I'll see if it is something in the code, could be a browser detection issue.
vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by vikenk »

Andy wrote:If youve got a URL that will help as I'll see if it is something in the code, could be a browser detection issue.
Hi Andy,

Try here:

http://www.sayatnova.com/test

Username=andy
Password=milonic

I have not made many changes, so It should still behave the same way. I hope it does, so you can get a look at what happens.

When hovering over an item with a submenu, the menu collapses. It doesn't happen when hovering over a item with no submenu. I removed IE7 Beta from my computer for now. I'll need to find a different computer to put it on so I can test more thoroughly.

Thanks for looking.
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Just tried this with IE7 that comes with Vista Beta 2 and everything seems fine now

Can I assume that this issue is now sorted
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Note that beta 3 is current. Perhaps that will help.
John
vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by vikenk »

I'll download Beta 3 and give it a try. Thanks for taking the time to look!