FLASH and flicker

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
elhilltop@yahoo.com
Beginner
Beginner

FLASH and flicker

Post by elhilltop@yahoo.com »

I've seen many discussions about Flash movies and Milonic menu having issues with flicker. I can't determine if these are supposed to be fixed in the most current version, or if I need to implement the hide div solution I've seen on your site or maybe it's an EMBED tag issue.

My URL is http://www.casadegolf.com The Facilities main page has a FLASH movie as well as the Golf Course main page. You can see that the menus which over-lap the flash movies definitely flicker.

Must I implement the rather involved hide div solution, or is there something easier I can use? :? I "inherited" support of Milonic menu on this site - I'd like to get it working with the FLASH movies. I like your menu and will recommend it to my other clients, but I really need to get past this problem since most of my clients want FLASH on their sites, too.

Thanks very much,

Elaine
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Hi,

I don't actually see a problem with http://www.casadegolf.com is it just with specific browsers.

Normally the problem is with Java Applets, Flash is usually quite well behaved.
elhilltop@yahoo.com
Beginner
Beginner

Browser version

Dear Andy,

I tried Casadegolf.com from another computer and did NOT see the FLASH and Milonic flicker.

The computer that has the problem is running IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp-sp2

I will try find any weird things installed that might be causing my problem.

Thanks,

Elaine
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

That's odd - that is the same version of IE I am using, my thoughts are that it could be an issolated issue just on that one machine
elhilltop@yahoo.com
Beginner
Beginner

I found the solution

Dear Andy,

I found out what the issue is... Macromedia had the solution. Microsoft's recent security update changed the way Flash as well as Quicktime and other multi-media plug-ins run. If you mouse-over a flash movie, you'll see a grey box that makes you click on the movie to activate an Active-X plug-in. This was messing up my flash movie and causing the problem.
Every FLASH page must be re-written to include a little piece of Java script that takes away that box and the requirement to activate the Active-X plugin.

Thanks very much - if you see someone else with this problem, Macromedia's website has the instructions and the js code.

Elaine
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Oh that problem, yeah we know all about that one, had us going for ages here :D

There's a page on it at http://milonic.com/activateflash.php with a couple of workarounds