Relative positioning for Scrolling menu?

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
thunderMex
Beginner
Beginner

Relative positioning for Scrolling menu?

Post by thunderMex »

I just started using the dhtml scrolling menu in a vertical mode. I have a couple of long pages with skin care advice topics running in a long vertical column. What we wanted was to have a vertical list of short skin care terms that when clicked would immediately line up the appropriate topic by linking to a specific named anchor.

So, the scrolling menu was the solution to let it sit at the top of the page in the left margin with a "menu" of terms such as "Dry skin", "Oily skin", etc. Clicking any of those term immediately scrolled the page to that particular topic. Very handy.

But, the site pages are centered by DIV instructions in a CSS stylesheet.

If the browser window is narrowed to less than full screen then the site pages line up on the 0 pixel value on the left side of the browser window.

Is there a way to RELATIVELY position the SCROLLING dhtml menu so that instead of riding down the left hand side of the window at a certain lefthand pixel distance it keeps at the same relative distance from the centered page?

As it is right now resizing the browser window keeps the scrolling dhtml menu at the same fixed margin from the lefthand screen border.

I tried various things I saw here for making content flow around a menu in a table structure but nothing that makes the SCROLLING action continue to work.

Is there a solution? I had thought of making a long lefthand table column the length of the page and putting the code into that but all scrolling action comes to a stop as you probably already know.

Any help available for this?

Simply leaving the menu as is and putting in Relative references in the javascript immediately sticks the menu in the upper lefthand corner no matter what left and top references are used.

Thanks for a really easy setup, otherwise. I am also impressed that you get more effects out of your scripts than other javascript and css scripts I have seen. You code is lighter to get comparable effects.
vikenk
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by vikenk »

Hi,

A URL would be very helpful so we can see :D

When the window is resized smaller, the content falls under the menu, right? Unfortunately, relative positioning and scrolling menu cannot be used together at this point.

I suggest adding a body margin or padding to your CSS. You could add just enough margin to accomodate the menu. See my site as an example: http://www.vikenk.com

I have added padding to the body to accomodate the menu. When the window is resized, the content does not overflow under the menu.

Hope this helps.
thunderMex
Beginner
Beginner

thanks for the reply

Post by thunderMex »

Vikenk,

Yes, what you have done on your site is what I did on mine. I figured what I was asking was unlikely. But, the solution you and I have for that lefthand positioning works fine.

Thanks!