Menu not working in IE7

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
ldeeder
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Menu not working in IE7

Post by ldeeder »

Does anyone know what I need to do to update the code on my site?

http://www.itconnectivity.com

TIA, Larry
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Larry,

You need to upgrade to the newest version of the menu, your version 5.753 and we are 5.762, and I think there's a 63 pre-release up.

Go to the main site, then under the DHTML menu tab look for Menu Version Information click that and then login on the page and download the newest version. You might want to download .762 and also .763 pre-release but make sure you have them separate just in case you need the newer one.

Ruth
ldeeder
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ldeeder »

I have downloaded it, but how do I apply the update without messing up my current config?
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

The safest way to do this is to copy your milonic_src.js, mmenudom.js,mmenuns4.js files that you are using now to some folder so you have them incase you have to go back to them.

Once that is done you just unzip the new download to some folder that won't overwrite your existing data, then upload the 3 program files. Just the milonic_src.js, mmenudom.js and mmenuns4.js files get uploaded, your data file is your personal info and it works with the other 3 files.

Hope that made sense and helps.

Ruth
ldeeder
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ldeeder »

Followed your instructins to the letter, and still does not work in IE7. Infact it now has a strange line between the main menu and the sub menu in IE6.

Larry
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

Hi Larry,

I'll have to post to someone else, I do not have IE7.

Ruth
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

You're calling your _data file twice...

Code: Select all

<script src="../menu/menu_data.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="../menu/menu_data.js"></script>
Not a good idea.
ldeeder
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ldeeder »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have made the change to the home page and the Contact Us page and it still does not work in IE7. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry
stephen702
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by stephen702 »

I'm not a support person, just an interested bystander. I've looked at your site in IE7. What isn't working? I see the menu bar, and I can click on any of the items and be sent to a new page. What is missing?

The only thing I notice is that when I view the home page, the menu bar is covering the top of the words "Welcome to IT Connectivity".
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

What I'm now seeing is your menu failing in FF2 and working fine in IE7. In FF2 none of the text that should show below a clicked menu item is there, while it is in IE7.

Haven't figured it out yet.
ldeeder
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ldeeder »

What appear be messed up the the alignment. If you can, check it out in IE6. There also appears to be a strange horizontal line between the main menu and the sub menues.
kevin3442
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by kevin3442 »

The thicker bottom border appears to be a bug. The system is doubling the border-bottom setting in your .offsub style. It apparently does so for top, right, and left borders too. I'll let Andy know.

Solution for now... stop using the .onsub style (just comment out the offstyle setting in your HeadStyle) and reinstate the bordercolor, borderstyle, and border width settings in your HeaderStyle. Not perfect, but that's all I got until the little bug is sorted.

One other thing... I noticed you have two calls to drawMenus() in your menu_data.js file; there's one at the very bottom that looks like it was missed by closing comment. There's another on line 218.

As for IE7, I can't really help there, because I'm too scared to use IE7 right now (don't have it installed).

Cheers,

Kevin
ldeeder
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by ldeeder »

Thanks a lot for your comments. The coding you are refering to is just a bit over my head. This issue started right after I upgraded.

I too am afraid of using IE7, I am just prepairing for the near future when my clients upgrade to IE7 and ask why my site no longer works.

I will clean up the menu.js and see if that makes a difference. I may be forced to go back to the old version until the bug is fixed.

Will Milonic let me know when it has been resolved, or do I need to keep upgrading until it's fixed?

Thanks for your help. Larry
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

kevin3442 wrote:As for IE7, I can't really help there, because I'm too scared to use IE7 right now (don't have it installed).
FWIW, we have a team here testing the silly thing (we have the IE7 push blocked campus-wide until we're finished). We've been through the betas and now the final. So far - much as I hate to admit this - just a few minor issues which are not show-stoppers. We've now given the OK to release it.

BTW, if you try it and don't like it, MS has provided a way to back down to IE6!