How to centre a tabs menu with FireFox?

Having problems with DHTML Menu? There is usually somebody here who knows the answer.
Steve(spt)
Advanced
Advanced

How to centre a tabs menu with FireFox?

Post by Steve(spt) »

Hello folks,

Thanks for reading this. I keep reading that web sites should use CSS for the style part of your site.

So I thought I would do a test page and ran into a problem with centring my tabs in FireFox.

heres the test page ;- http://www.jupiter-ace.co.uk/test.html in IE 7 is fine, but in FireFox the tabs are left of centre.
I've tried all day to work this out and I must be overlooking something. The rest of the site, does centre in FireFox correctly because I used
this in the CSS code in my original code:

.tabs
/* FireFox */
{background-image: url(graphics/background.gif);text-align: -moz-center; }

But it fails the W3C CSS Validator when used in my new test file that mostly generated with a new CSS file.

So, is the centring of the TABs a browser problem with IE or FireFox or something I'm overlooking/ not set?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Steve(spt)
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Re: How to centre a tabs menu with FireFox?

Post by Ruth »

Hi,

It's going to have something to do with the divs and widths. There is a fix, but many don't like using things like tables. This should take care of the issue, and as far as I could check it didn't show as invalid at the w3c validation. Change your div id=menu to the following. Notice I added a table with center tags and a width equal to the total of the tabs.

Code: Select all

<DIV id=menu><center><table cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0 width=640>
<tr>
    <td><SCRIPT src="milonic_src.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>	
	<!--
	if(ns4)_d.write("<scr"+"ipt type=text/javascript src=mmenuns4.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");
	else _d.write("<scr"+"ipt type=text/javascript src=mmenudom.js><\/scr"+"ipt>");
	// --> 
	</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT src="jupiter_menu_data-test.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT></td>
</tr>
</table></center>

</DIV><!-- Menu End --><!-- menu bar -->
The following is the main menu code changes.

Code: Select all

with(milonic=new menuname("Main Menu")){ 
alwaysvisible=1; 
orientation="horizontal"; 
position="relative"; // added 
style=menuStyle;
That seemed to fix it, but you might want to test in whatever browser and versions you have.

Ruth