Free Downloads Available Again

A forum for topics relating to the Milonic Solutions Website, Milonic products, polls and anything else relating to Milonic.
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Free Downloads Available Again

Post by Hergio »

The menu code is now available again on the milonic website for free download to those users who do not have a license. :D This free download version is an evaluation version and contains a link to Milonic on all top level menus, as that is what the free license agreement entails, a link back to Milonic in exchange for free use of the menu. Licensed users can continue to download the non-evaluation version of the menu. Once you have tried the menu, you can purchase it and have the Milonic link removed...and we encourage EVERYONE to purchase the license as this is a great product worth paying a couple bucks for! :D
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
Ruth
 Team
 Team

Post by Ruth »

I'm going to make this suggestion again. I was thinking about the many who have said things like, I'd like to donate something. Wondering if there's a way to put that on the 'purchase' list....don't know if it's possible to set something like that up since it would have a variable 'price' depending on what someone donated. But, since you are already set to accept credit cards, I thought it might be an option. :)

Ruth
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Just thought I'd better recap on the license deal.

We only charge companies and people intent on making money, so not sure how to do the donate button. I do have reservations about our tax issues but I will look into it though. However, believe it or not, it's not high on our list of priorities at the moment 8O Too busy making the menu better to worry about making money :D

On a license note:

Milonic's deal has always been NOT to make money from users that are helping others without charge. This does not include companies (sorry but that's the way it is) So we cannot even offer a free license to a company. If they download and install without buying then they leave themselves wide open. It has happened before as most of you know and it was VERY embarasing for all concerned when it was discovered.

Cheers
Andy.
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

With Paypal all you need to do is register your email address. There is no cost to send a paypal payment, but they take a small percentage (about 3%) for handling the transaction.
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

We've done that already - dhtmlmenu hat milonic.com but I'd need to send you a receipt.

Mr Tax Man and Mr VAT Man might not be best pleased with us otherwise :roll:

I'll see if I can get the system to generate one automatically.

Cheers
Andy
Hergio
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Hergio »

So basically right now, if people want to give some money back to milonic, even though they are using the free license (legally) , they must purchase a professional license (~US34). Which isn't too bad. But what you're sayin is having the donate button would allow those people who dont have much cash to throw around, or only want to give alittle and not full out get a license and want to only give like 5 bucks, they could use the donate button. Having a paypal donate button the homepage might be alright to have and contribute some to the check book, eh Andy?
Dave Hergert
Software Engineer
"Helping to make the menu better, one :?: at a time."
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

The PayPal button should generate a receipt back to the sender.
John
Maz
Milonic God
Milonic God

Post by Maz »

PayPal has a whole developers forum to do anything you want it to.
The problem is keeping records for the British tax system, like declaring tips I think the percentage drops, international transactions are handled quite well, but is it worth it?

I have the opposite problem, donations but nothing that accounts as a private service.

Andy could reinvent himself as the Milonic Foundation ;)

:D
maz
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

The problem is keeping records for the British tax system
Couldn't agree more. At the moment NOTHING is being done in the way of development because both Marty and myself are heavily involved in completing our quarterly VAT (Value Added Tax) return. If we don't complete it on time and to the nearest penny we have to pay penalties.

We are also close to our deadlines for Corporation Tax and Income Tax returns. It makes us wonder why we bother sometimes. Although we do have the freedom of running our own business so we can work the hours that suit (yeah right - It's 23:00 here and I'm still on-line) we do have many other problems to deal with.

This is why we can't just create a link for people to pay us money. We simply must ensure that any money we do make is ALL accounted for, otherwise we could end up in jail on fraud charges.

Once we are on target with current finances, a donation button will appear but at the moment it will cause us too many problems so it will just have to wait.

Somebody told me that the Turks and Caicos Islands don't pay tax, any nice places to live there? Definately worth thinking about. I'd be close to the USA too and considering 90% of our business is in America makes sense for us to move out there. The UK is on the decline :cry:

Cheers
Andy
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Thanks for the update, Andy. Sounds like you really have it a lot worse over there than we do here.
Andy wrote:Somebody told me that the Turks and Caicos Islands don't pay tax, any nice places to live there?
Let me know if you find something :!:
Andy wrote:The UK is on the decline
That's a shame. Too many folks trying to get their fingers into the pot?

Have you guys been there all your life?
John
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

Wahay!

See here john

http://www.nationalcolonyrealty.com/tax.html

it's a tax haven :D

BUT - According to the map on my wall here it belongs to the UK :roll: One of the many countries stolen by the British Empire many years ago no doubt.

Oh - Yeah, lived here all our lives, getting a bit sick of paying high taxes to keep the free loaders in news cars, beer and pot.
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Holy cow :!: What a liberal place. They sure don't hide the fact you can do just about anything. It was great up to the point you said, "...belongs to the UK".
John
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

As Milonic is a fully 'on-line' business, can't it be located on a sever in a country with better taxes? Don't some betting websites do this?

I don't always agree with this but Andy is right in the way the UK government screws us all with taxes.
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.
Andy
Milonic
Milonic

Post by Andy »

I'm all for the Turks and Caicos Islands but Marty is worried there wont be any department stores :D

Off-shore server eh? Effectively we are working from the UK and our server is located in the UK. We would have a very difficult time with the IRS proving that the business was in fact run in the "tax haven". It's not impossible but it's very difficult.

-- Andy
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

Andy wrote:I'm all for the Turks and Caicos Islands but Marty is worried there wont be any department stores :D
Remind her this new thing, I think it's called the Internet, 'appears' to be very capable of taking care of that problem :!: ;)
John