buggered if I know

A place for posting requests and information about images used in the menu.
walensis
Beginner
Beginner

buggered if I know

Post by walensis »

I dont even know if I'm in the right place form this, but lets see anyway...
Lets say I have an image I wanted to put on a web page, but it has a white background that doesnt go with the background of the page. Is there some way of clearing that white background so the image is set into the page background with no white image background at all? :?
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

Depending on the image it should be no problem. Id use photoshop to remove the background, if you don't have the software post the image here and I'll take a look for you.

-Marty
John
 Team
 Team

Post by John »

You can do that with .gif, but not .jpg. Any decent image editing program should have a tool called "Magic Wand". Very quick and easy.
John
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

If you are dealing with a .jpg you can still remove the background, you'll just have to resave it as a .gif

-Marty
walensis
Beginner
Beginner

Post by walensis »

I have photobase & photo impression, but I couldnt figger out how to do it, and I dont know how to get you the picture...on the site I'm using its as simple as an ##image code##. How would I get the image on here?
In photo impression I got as far as wanding the back ground and creating another layer out of it, but I couldnt delete the white background layer.
The image, BTW is a JPEG...does that make a difference?

And another thought...is there some way of changing a bitmap into a JPEG, JPG or GIF, which are the only images this site uses?
Mind you, I dont know what any of those images above means, so I think someone better educate me from the begining. :)
I've never come across the option of saving as a different image type.
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

To have the image appear on the forum the image has to be posted somewhere live and you simply link to it from here with the Img tags(Paste the url here then highlight and click on the Img button).

Or if the image is not live you could mail it to me at marty at milonic.com

The image type is easily changed when you save it, just save as, and choose from the options available. I'm not familiar with the programs you mentioned but I would imagine they have a save for web option, which automatically picks the best file type for the image. For example if the image has transparency as yours probably will it should opt for a gif. Jpg is used for more complex images such as photographs, both these file types are bitmap images and are generally the most used ones on the internet as they compress files better than any other.

-Marty
walensis
Beginner
Beginner

image backgrounds

Post by walensis »

Okay, I figgered out how to use the Photo Impression workshop, but once if done the editing it will only let me save it as a PSF file, and if I go ahead a nd chose the JPEG it re attaches all the layers I deleted, and I end up with a white background instead of a transparent one.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh!!!!!

I'm begining to think its not worth the trouble. And as for the images being live...They are, but not on my site, and I dont have the right to hand out friends home URLs willy nilly. But I may ask them if they mind.

Thanks Guys... :)
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

You're sure you cannot save the file as a .gif?

Sounds strange.

You must have the image on your computer, if you would rather not post it here you can mail it to me (as I mentioned earlier)

-Marty

transparent backgrounds

Post by Guest »

there are half a dozen images at least, and I know other people who do know something about computers who cant find a way of doing it either, but the images are on my picture file, and I will send them to you if you tell me where and how to get they're address.
marty
Site Admin

Post by marty »

marty at milonic.com
fredlongworthhighschool
Mega Advanced
Mega Advanced

Re: image backgrounds

Post by fredlongworthhighschool »

walensis wrote:Okay, I figgered out how to use the Photo Impression workshop, but once if done the editing it will only let me save it as a PSF file, and if I go ahead a nd chose the JPEG it re attaches all the layers I deleted, and I end up with a white background instead of a transparent one.
Do it have an EXPORT command? I use Serif Photoplus which will only save as it's own format, but if I click File..Export I get the option to save in any other format.

Don't forget that you can't make JPGs transparent, only GIFs, and in some cases you have to tick a little box to make it save transparent.
Andy Davis
Web Designer & Smartboard Manager

Fred Longworth High School, Manchester, England.